sugary feeling on front of teeth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

60acresbrewclub

Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out how to describe an off flavor that comes up on some of my beers over the years... Then i started to realize it was more of a texture that I didn't like it, feels thinner then it should be, slightly syrupy feel...if that makes sense. Most importantly I feel like it is like a sugary on the front of the teeth more so then commercial beer. The actual flavor and aftertaste are spot on for that I am going for. Assuming it is something I do with my techniques?

(if it matters I do biab all grain. I do not have my water science down but I typically use as much RO as my tank has and fill the rest with my water which is very soft due to a whole house water softner. I'm kind of a laid back with my brewing process due to playing with my kid while everything is moving along. Typically I strike near 160 it drops to 150-155 and I hold it as close as i can to where I wanted it.

Towards the 45 minute mark put the burner on the lowest setting. Hoist the grain out around an hour, crank up to high while I squeeze the grain with my brew gloves. I lose very little water to the grain sometimes I pour 1-2L hot water over the bag at this phase to wash some goodness off the grains into the pot. Sometimes when it gets to around 165 I drop the grain back in for another 30 minutes, you know just testing random stuff out.

When I'm ready to boil I crank it up high again and usually leave the bag over it to catch water escaping as steam and further squeeze it back into the bag. Usually boil for 60-90mins until it hits the volume i'm shooting for.

Granted these are not the best practices but if I could figure out what is giving it the sugar syrup coating on the tooth feeling I could probably make adjustments.)

This sweetness you describe in the finished beer might possibly be from higher levels of dissolved sodium chloride from the house water softener. Carbonates of calcium and magnesium contribute to permanent hardness in water and can be removed/exchanged with sodium and potassium ions in solution.
This will change the taste and texture of your beer, definitely.

Yeah, @Lefou is right, don't use softened water for brewing. Depending on your mixing ratio with RO, the salt content may still be too high. You can collect RO water in a fermentor or covered bucket too, or drain your RO reservoir into one of those when it's full. Do you have a TDS meter handy?

Back