Sugar for priming - overprimed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rybrew

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just wanted to say thanks for all the great information on this forum. I have been drinking my first brew, an irish red, and i'm very pleased! It's almost gone sadly :p

Now for my question. I just bottled my second batch yesterday. This time around i primed with table sugar. I researched and found that 1/2 to 2/3 is fine. I went ahead and used between 2/4 and 3/4. This morning i went and found a calculator, which i should have done yesterday, and it says for my style of beer i should have only use .53 of a cup.

My main question is how much sugar does it take for bottle bombs? Also will that much sugar i used just make it slighly more carbonated and still tasty?

This second batch was a canadian blonde from coopers. Just for info the last batch was primed with a premade bag from my local homebrew shop, might have been corn sugar. It was too expensive to buy their $5 bag everytime.

Thanks

The one in my lhms they have added other things to promote better head and body. I used it on my first batch and i'm sure it helped. I'm trying to keep cost down so i dont need everything to be the best and wanted to try table sugar. Any thoughts on my actual question?

You're fine, especially considering 0.53 is in the range you described using (between 1/2 and 2/3 cup). There's a difference between overpriming for the style and overpriming for bottle bombs. Bottling prematurely and high ambient temps will contribute to risk factors for bombs, but from the sound of it, you're pretty careful.

"Cups" is very hard to measure and qualify.

I'd suggest getting a small kitchen scale, as they are very cheap (got one at a thrift store for $1!) and far more accurate.

I always weigh my priming sugar, and never once had an overcarbed or undercarbed batch (300+ batches!).

It's hard to use measuring cups because the grain of the sugar, the moisture in your house, etc, change how many ounces are in a 2/3 cup.

Thanks all, feel better now.

I will def pick up a scale to assist with accuracy.

Also sorry for the nub questions!

Back