Succession of follies - First Partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ster

Reaction score
First I winged it and did my best to keep the temp 150F.

Then I wasn't sure how to sparge, so I put the grain bags ina bowl with half gallong of tap water and squished a round, and sqeezed.

Then after the boild and wort cooling, I dropped a spoon in gthe bucked. Leave it? Nope. Sprayed my arm with star san and retrieved.. Infection likely.

And finally, the wort after chilling had a lot of "stuff" floating around.. kind of looked like egg drop soup.

Wait and see I guess.

You'll probably be fine.

The egg drop soup looking stuff is probably just your cold break.

The only real issue is whether or not you get an infection from stocking your arm in, but I've heard a lot of similar stories with no infection.

Also, you said that you used tap water for your sparge... I'd you used trap water with chlorine/chloramine, you might get some of flavors from that.

I use tap water all the time for my brews, if it tastes good to drink your beer will be just fine.

Moreover here nearby Montreal we have pretty soft water, out of curiosity KepowOb did you ever had strange taste coming out of it? In the suburbs it has a bit less chlorine than the city for sure but overall with a little CaCl2 it's pretty balanced I believe.

I use tap water all the time for my brews, if it tastes good to drink your beer will be just fine.

Moreover here nearby Montreal we have pretty soft water, out of curiosity KepowOb did you ever had strange taste coming out of it? In the suburbs it has a bit less chlorine than the city for sure but overall with a little CaCl2 it's pretty balanced I believe.

I'm in the suburbs, and yeah the water is pretty good. As for the flavours, apart from it occasionally being a chlorine bomb, the water tastes fine, heh. But even if your water tastes good, you need to do something to get rid of any chlorine or chloramine that's in there.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back