Substitute Wyeast 1332 for 1056

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USMCYoder

Reaction score
So I went to my LHBS this yesterday to pick up the yeast for my brew that I did last night. Too bad they didn't have the yeast I wanted. I was doing a chocolate milk stout and wanted to pitch the Wyeast 1332 Northwestern Ale, in hopes this beer would be similar to Left Hand Milk Stout or Youngs Double Chocolate. But since they didn't have it, the next best thing they had was the American Ale 1056.

Has anyone worked with both of these and seen the difference between the two. I know they say the 1056 can produce a slight fruity flavor, but I feel that my 3.5 lb grain bill (Partial Mash) and my multiple additions of nibs would prevent this.

Any ideas or comments??

I would have gone with the US-05 over the WY1332 anyways. Both are great yeasts, though I think you will get a cleaner flavor with the former as long as your temps don't get into the 70's. Also, Pacman makes a superb stout. Very clean, malty, and provides a nice mouthfeel; just for future reference.

I thought about the US-05, but LHBS doesn't carry it. And everytime I order yeast online, it arrives lifeless and dead, so I usually don't order it anymore. I will make sure the temps don't get to the 70's, right now it is sitting at 68, and that was the highest I wanted it to hit anyway.

Sorry, I saw 1056 and instantly thought US-05, as it is the same strain.

1056 is supposedly the liquid version of the dry S-05

EDIT: oops you beat me to it

I think you will like the 1056 better than the 1332. Most styles Americans make are based on 1056, because it has less esters (ale like flavors) than the other ale yeasts. In a dark beer like a stout your never going to taste them anyway. I have made many a great stout with 1056-wlp001 you will love it. I think that left-hand uses 1056 any way. Youngs is going to use an english ale yeast like 1968 London ESB.

I think that left-hand uses 1056 any way. Youngs is going to use an english ale yeast like 1968 London ESB.

I thought LH used 1332 as I read on here somewhere. But it doesn't matter now, since the 1056 has been in my carboy since Wednesday and totally rocking. I've never seen so much airlock action or movement in the carboy. Makes me real excited to see what comes out

Back