Substitute Ale Yeast for Lager Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c1377

Reaction score
1554 Enlightened Black Ale (New Belgium)
$31.99 -- New Belgium Brewing Company. Fort Collins, Colorado.

Extract kit includes: priming sugar, milled specialty grains in a muslin bag, hops, and detailed instructions. Mini-Mash kits do not come with grain bags. We recommend a Reusable Nylon Grain Bag. Mini-mash involves additional time for steeping. All grain brewing requires additional equipment and different brewing techniques.

Extract: 7 lbs. Liquid Malt Extract, .81 lbs. Specialty Grains.
Mini Mash: 5 lbs. Liquid Malt Extract, 2.5 lbs. Base Grains, .81 lbs. Specialty Grains.
All Grain: 9 lbs. Base Grains, .81 lbs. Specialty Grains.

Makes 5 US gallons.

YEAST: Southern German Lager/Danish Lager

I don't want to brew a Lager for my first batch.
What kind of ale yeast could I substitute for this..
..or should I just try a similar ale such as???

Im confused, they call it black ale but use lager yeast. So with that is it like a steam beer? You can use Lager yeast to make an ale Ex. Steam but if you dont want to do that pick up a satchel of SAFALE S-05 or Nottingham. Both will produce great beers.

Call up the company you're getting the kit from and ask them if it's a lager yeast that's meant to be fermented at ale temps (mid 60's), or if they'll allow you to substitute the yeast.

I did Schwartzbier lager yeast vs Nottingham experiment. Other than the lager finishing one point higher, there were no noticeable differences.

If you read about the 1554 you will find that New Belgium says that they ferment this with a lager yeast at ale temps to make it.

Let me know how this comes out, I am sitting on a grain bill that I came up with for a American Black Ale that I was going to post up in the next month or 2 to see what everyone thought about it.

Tim

Latest posts

Back