Submersion Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noodle23

Reaction score
Im planning on getting a plate chiller soon as my other chiller broke. My question is can i submerge the plate chiller in a bucket of ice water to cool faster? Does anyone doe this now? Also suggestions on bet brands. I saw some 40 plates on amazon for $105. Good Price?

Im planning on getting a plate chiller soon as my other chiller broke. My question is can i submerge the plate chiller in a bucket of ice water to cool faster? Does anyone doe this now? Also suggestions on bet brands. I saw some 40 plates on amazon for $105. Good Price?

There is far more surface area between the two internal sides than to the outside and you are better off pumping ice water through the chiller than trying to submerge the chiller in ice.

If you post a link to what you found on Amazon I'll check it out.

It's totally watertight, so no reason you can't submerge it, but I agree with others - only a marginal improvement in chilling with it submerged in ice water. MUCH MUCH MUCH larger improvement in chilling if you can use a small pump to push ice water through it.

I think thats what i might do. I'll use my old immersion chiller in an ice bath and run the output into the plate chiller.

Go with 2 smaller chiilers. Wort in series, water in parallel.
P1010839.jpg

This is what we use and you can go straight from the BK to fermenter.

OneHoppyGuy said:
Go with 2 smaller chiilers. Wort in series, water in parallel.
This is what we use and you can go straight from the BK to fermenter.

What is the cooling time?

Back