Styrian Goldings for Bitters and ESB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peter_shoes_

Reaction score
I stopped using Fuggles and EKG for my bitters the last two go-arounds and started using Styrian Goldings. I'm having some insane results. Significantly less fruity, tastes significantly more like an Old Ale or similar style, the difference is astounding. Has anyone else tried this?

I recently made a Landlord-inspired bitter (or English pale ale, if you will), which featured a heavy dose of Savinjski Goldings.
It's actually quite citrusy - as the original beer is, apparently, - so I'm not entirely sure I agree with "significantly less fruity", although the fruit character is certainly very different from EKG.

That being said, I enjoy both Goldings immensely.

I'll preface this by saying I won't give up my Fuggles and EKG. They are two of my favorite hops. But I have used Stryian Goldings a lot over the years. In fact, the recipe I have done more often than any other uses some Fuggles and mostly Stryian Goldings. The problem is the Stryian Goldings I used were probably Stryian Celeia, which was apparently the usual in the U.S. before an EU labeling thing in, I think, 2017. As I understand it, Stravinsky is the true Stryian Goldings, just not what was sold in the U.S. Anyway, the place I order my supplies from n recent years carries Celeia, but not Savinjski, so I've been using it and some Willamette because the alpha acid has been so low on Celeia and Fuggles.
None of this has much to do with Old Ale or using just Stryian Goldings. I've never brewed with just Stryian Goldings. I've never brewed an Old Ale. I'm just saying if Stryian Goldings are the subject, something more needs to be specified.
Oh, and i'm glad you like your brew. :mug:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back