Stupidest Mistake yet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomtown25

Reaction score
I swear Murphy must have been a homebrewer because his laws always show up. This move was by far my stupidest one so far and I am bit embarrassed by it but what the hell, here it is. I woke up on Saturday and it was storming outside so I decided to bottle my Dunkelweizen. I sanitized ny bottles and was ready to go and began soaking my caps in a bowl of Star San that I poured out of my carboy from last brewday (I kept it full so I could keep the carboy clean during storage. OR SO I THOUGHT IT WAS STARSAN. With approximately 5 bottles to go, it dawned on me that the StarSan was a bit murky and that is when I realized. It wasn't Star San I was soaking the caps in, but Oxyclean. So needless to say, I capped nearly 45 bottles with caps that were wet with Oxyclean. NOt sure if it will effect my beer, I do not shake them up and they go from the storage room into the fridge and I do not drink out of the bottle, I pour into glass, so slight chance that it will not even touch the beer, but at the same time, they were wet when I capped them (I pull the caps out of the solution right onto the bottle).:drunk:

you should good, oxyclean is very similar to the LD Carlson no rinse sanitizer, which i use for sanitation.

no worries!

Don't worry about it....first batch I ever did, forgot to clean or sanitize my bottle caps. Just opened the package and went after it.

Are you *sure* it was Oxyclean? I only ask because Star San can in fact become quite cloudy if you mix it with tap water. Either way, don't worry too much, I bet it turns out just fine. :mug:

Ha! Ha! Don't worry, I'm sure I will redeem myself in the future!:cross:

How did you like the Caribou Slobber? I just tasted mine this weekend and I was happy with the way it turned out. Pretty much matched NB's description.:tank:

All i kept thinking about is how Oxyclean is such a good cleaner: OXYGEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not that you'll have anything to worry about since CO2 will be touching the cap, not oxyclean.

You can also tell by touch. Oxiclean would have been very slippery, while Starsan feels astringent. Either way, you should be fine.

On a distantly related note, my husband once drank several sips of Oxiclean before saying, "This water tastes kind of funny."

Don't worry about it....first batch I ever did, forgot to clean or sanitize my bottle caps. Just opened the package and went after it.

That is all I ever do:D Just open and go. No infections in 50+ batches ever.

Knock on wood

How did you like the Caribou Slobber? I just tasted mine this weekend and I was happy with the way it turned out. Pretty much matched NB's description.:tank:

Love the Caribou Slobber. I began drinking it after one week in bottles and I have one bottle left which I am going to try (try being the key word) for another 3 weeks just to see how good it gets. I even gave a strict BMC friend a bottle and he was impressed!

Love the Caribou Slobber. I began drinking it after one week in bottles and I have one bottle left which I am going to try (try being the key word) for another 3 weeks just to see how good it gets. I even gave a strict BMC friend a bottle and he was impressed!

They go down pretty fast.:tank:

They go down pretty fast.:tank:

I'm itching to try my Cucumber Honey Ale. It was the first recipe I made up myself (with some inspiration from other posts on here:

6 lbs 2-row
1 lb Honey Malt
1 lb Flaked Barley
2 lbs Vienna

Hop Editions were:

0.75 oz of Saaz at 60
0.25 oz of Saaz at 30
0.50 oz of Saaz at 15

Notty Dry yeast. 70 degrees

Fermented for 7 days and then added about 4-5 lbs of cucumber chopped up to fermentor for 14 days.:ban:

Back