Stupid question,,,

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bighorn_brew

Reaction score
I have a dial thermometer that just spent about 4-5 mins in my 154 degree wort,,, fished it out of 13.75 gallons of wort...I'm ok, I always keep extra long surgical gloves handy for dirty jobs, but, any chance my beer is contaminated? The inside of dial looks clear, it isn't broke or anything, I am just anal when it comes to this kinda stuff....

Yeah, god, just a stupid move, hung it on the lip of the Keggle, then got worried about what they use to sterilize the gloves with, often times they use Ethylene oxide (ETO) which leaves a nasty residue, fortunately, these gloves were irradiated (sterile R) so, I guess on with the brew,,,

Sure there is a chance your wort could be contaminated. There's a chance you might win $40 million in the state lottery by buying just one ticket too. Don't spend the $40 million yet and don't sweat about the possibility of contamination. Besides that, just how many infectious agents can survive in 154 degree wort? I believe that 160 for 10 minutes counts as pasteurization.

RM-MN
No, not infection Great Karnak, contamination from whatever is in the thermometer....I know remote chance, and maybe I wasn't clear, but I didn't ask for a theoretically smart-ass answer...go answer some other post that is much more worth your time, thanks....

RM-MN
No, not infection Great Karnak, contamination from whatever is in the thermometer....I know remote chance, and maybe I wasn't clear, but I didn't ask for a theoretically smart-ass answer...go answer some other post that is much more worth your time, thanks....

:D lighten up. You said yourself it was a stupid question.

Back