Stupid me...Looking for honey malt recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I accidently ordered 12 lbs of honey malt. I only needed a pound. It's for a coffee stout. It's a long story.

What the hell can I do with all this honey malt? Anyone have any good honey malt-centric recipes? :mad:

I did a search of honey malt as an ingredient on Brewer's Friend; sorted by rating; and looked into only the first page.
With 2 lbs or more per 5 gal. (ish)

3 lb in Amber/Honey Ale (5.5 gal.)
5 lb in Sour Cherry Ale (11 gal.)
2 lb in Rye ipa 2nd try (5 gal.)
2.2 lb in vanilla porter (lower case intentional) (6 gal.)

13 pages total.

There is a brown ale recipe in "Brew Better Beer" that is
5lb Maris Otter
5lb Honey Malt
1lb 8oz Crystal 120
Goldings hops
I brewed it before I read anything about Honey Malt. I got concerned when the recommendations were for up to 10% max 20%. I kegged it on Sunday and the sample tasted very nice. Malty with light honey flavor and mouth feel. I do the set and forget so it will be another week or so before I can say what it finished up like.

I just used a pound in an IPA with a fruity hop profile. It was fantastic. I used a combo of Nelson Sauvin, Amarillo, and Galaxy. I think the sweetness of the honey malt works nicely with the fruitier hops.

I've never used it before, so I have no idea how it will impact any recipe. I thin I'll pass on the SMASH. The brown ale sounds interesting. So does the Rye IPA.

It's pretty awesome in a saison. Since the saison yeast could ferment plutonium you really dont have to worry about the beer being to sweet, and it adds this wonderful honey and melanoidin/malty chord to the beer. I used 8oz in a honey saison with 16oz of oats and the beer still is crazy dry. I'm tempted next,time I do a saison using as much as 1.5lbs just for funsies (seriously belle saison and 3711 will drop your gravity so low it's almost impossible for it to be "sweet").

The brown ale is a great idea though too. I used it recently in a Rogue Hazelnut Brown Ale (I think 8oz but don't have my notes), tasty beer.

I feel strongly that any recipe that needs or uses Crystal malt of any level could have a portion of that replaced by honey malt (adjusting the over all beer for color losses) and it would either improve or have no impact on the overall quality.

I've only used it in a brown ale, but about 5% seemed to be a good amount without being cloying. I don't have the recipe with me, but I think it was 2 row, aromatic malt, honey malt, c40 and chocolate malt with willamette to 30ish IBUs. I generally shoot for 5-6% Abv.

Honey malt is a melanoidin malt, some say a super Munich. I use it in all my lager recipes and it works well in Kolsch also. If you want a big malt backbone in your IPAs, use ~1/2 lb in 5 gal and it won't be sweet just malty.

Back