stupid bazooka screens

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extra_medium

Reaction score
i switched to a bazook screen from a manifold in my mashtun (fail #1) then after i boiled i realized that my hydrometer was broken so no OG reading.
i saved some wort, stuck it in the fridge and measured it a few days later after i got a new hydrometer...this is suppose to be an double IPA and it is measuring at 1.52 (fail #2) i was expecting 1.68. my wort has been fermenting for about 5 days now...how can i boost my OG without adding too much extra volume? can i add straight DME and expect the yeast and alcohol to scrub out any unwanted impurites in the DME? the amount of candy sugar would be about 20% of the fermentables and i am afraid that might be too high.

thoughts and help please!..i already know that i need to go back to the manifold. anyone want to buy a used bazooka screen?:eek:

cheers,
~xm~

i am at 5.5g in a 6g fermenter...i would have to put about 2 pounds of dme in a liter of water to get close to the bump i need. so i guess i am making more of a syrup.

not sure i'd blame a screen for your issues, i use a braid and am in the mid 80's for efficiency. Sounds like you had quite a bit of problems regardless of the screen

So tap off a liter and dissolve the DME in it. You'll lose some yeast and any alcohol, but both would be minor.

I'm guessing you just installed the bazooka in the bulkhead of the cooler and increased your deadspace to like a gallon. That'll kill efficiency. The only way I'd use a bazooka is by taking the threaded part off and clamping the screen over a copper siphon tube that lays on the bottom of the tun.

Back