Stupid bayou classic won't stay lit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
I'm trying to make a blonde ale here and the darn thing won't stay lit when I lower the flame. Sounds like it's getting plenty of gas but to get a manageable boil it just sputters then goes out and the tank is 3/4 full so I know I have fuel any time I increase the flame the boil gets way to vigorous and I mean like jump out of the pot vigorous. The burner is a couple years old and the burner itself is a little rusted. Could it just need cleaned?

Yes, disassemble and clean the burner, it can make a work of difference. Rust and dried wort from boil overs can foul a burner terribly.

Ok thanks. Is it just a mater of unscrewing the burner assembly. Any tips on what to clean it with.

Ok thanks. Is it just a mater of unscrewing the burner assembly. Any tips on what to clean it with.

Yes, disassemble and clean it.

Wire brush, scrape off rust dirt etc.

Really anything, scrape w a knife? There may be loose rust...tap the parts on pavt, clean it. I think it will be obvious once apart.

There is a fitting at the end of the regulator hose. If you unscrew it from the burner there is a really small hole (orifice). Use a piece of copper wire and work it in and out of the hole. Wiggle it around a bit but be careful not to damage it. Dont use water or any cleaner! Just blow on it a bit and work the wire around. That hole directs the flow of propane and if damaged could give bad results so use only copper wire. Anything else may damage the brass hole. But if it's dirty and partially plugged will give you exactly this scenario. Good luck!

I've heard people say using a compressed air hose will do wonders for blasting out clogged holes on propane burners.

I just disassembled the burner and cleaned it with a wire brush then wiped it all down and it works like a champ now.

Any idea on how to keep bayou classic burners clean? Mine is stored outside in a covered area, and it's getting a bit rusty...

Any idea on how to keep bayou classic burners clean? Mine is stored outside in a covered area, and it's getting a bit rusty...

I just used a wire brush and disassembled the burner then wiped it down and while it doesn't look new, a lot of the coating has flaked off it works like brand new. Super efficient now and I can really lower the flame with no sputtering or flame out issues and that's all the cleaning it took.

Back