stumbled on some luck and think it might have stuck to my shoe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poetic_entropy

Reaction score
I was talking to a fellow about HB and how I'd like a bigger set up. He told me about an unused Dairy set up only minutes from my house. I has 2 300 gallon storage tanks and one has a jacketed cooler. There is also another tank that he said was a little smaller??. My questions ignoring legal issues. How would I boil 200 gallons of liquid. I am thinking Electric 2 phase heating elements any thoughts.

I get to go see it in a few days, I'll keep you posted.

:tank:

Thanks

I think the best way would be to use a steam coil. Basically, the opposite of a wort chiller. Steam heats the coil and transfers the heat to the liquid in the tank. You would need a boiler to drive the coil. Pressurized steam is much hotter than boiling water.

We use this method daily where I work. It's sweet. :rockin:

Yeah, steam would be the way to go....We also heat jackets with steam to heat /boil liquids at work.

Making steam is the problem, you'll need a pretty nice sized boiler. Gonna cost some change in youre energy bill.

david_42 said:
But then you could only brew once a year.

But what a way to go for the year! I want that drooling smiley too! :mug:

I remember seeing a 50 gallon steam jacketed boil kettle on Craigslist a few months back. It was all SS with valves and on casters too, but they wanted $600 for it. I see stuff like this at the Boeing Surplus store once in awhile too. I end up talking some sense into myself most times, as I do 10 gallon batches now and have more beer than I can drink.

:drunk:

Interesting predicament... I think at that point it would be worth it to get your License to sell and go for it... you could SWIM in your beer... it would ruin it, but how many of us haven't wanted to swim in beer? :mug: :rockin:

DeadYetiBrew said:
Interesting predicament... I think at that point it would be worth it to get your License to sell and go for it... you could SWIM in your beer... it would ruin it, but how many of us haven't wanted to swim in beer? :mug: :rockin:

Well, if you swim in it, does it really count toward your 200 gallon limit of homebrew?? You could claim to be making "swimming medium" instead of beer. ;)

Biermann said:
Well, if you swim in it, does it really count toward your 200 gallon limit of homebrew?? You could claim to be making "swimming medium" instead of beer. ;)

Good point, he might as well swim in the first batch. The first batch is the sacrificial batch anyway, he's using old dairy machinery it'll come out like BILK or be really sweet from Lactose...

poetic_entropy said:
How would I boil 200 gallons of liquid.

First, you get 200 gallons of boiling liquid; then...
Grin-Nod.gif

I've heard of quite a few microbreweries that started out with old dairy equipment. The ones I've seen have used a BIG natural gas burner.

I work in a dairy processing facility. Yall would get one big stiffy if you were to see all the stuff here that could be used to make beer. I am still trying to figue out how to steal one of our many 1000 gallon silos!!:p

DeadYetiBrew said:

If you made a Bud clone, it might actually give it some flavor. Serve that to the yokal's that love BMC's. haha

Back