Stuck? WLP029 German Ale/ Kölsch Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marathon06

Reaction score
I pitched WLP029 German Ale/ Kölsch Yeast yesterday and still no sign of fermentation after about 21 hours. Sitting at about 66 degrees. Am I stuck? If so, what can I do to fix it?

You can wait. That usually fixes it.

Did you make a starter? Did you aerate the wort? Those usually help get you off to a good start. But waiting is always part of the picture.

No worries!

No starter since it is Ionly a 1.045 gravity beer. I did sedate though.

No, see SEDATE is what the beer does to you, if you brew it right. Sorry - I've got a problem with dumb jokes. Trying to quit. I've got a batch of Kolsch going myself, but I used the Wyeast Kolsch.

Its fine. I've used this yeast many, many times an can tell you two things - it starts kind of slow, and it is a quiet fermenter. I have one batch where there was almost no airlock activity. It is a pretty hardy strain though, and it will do its thing. That is also to perfect temp for it, much cooler and it likes to drop out, much warmer and it produces a ton of sulfur.

By no signs do you mean no airlock activity? No krausen? What I would do is first check for krausen. If you see this its good. If not take a sample and compare it to your OG. If its lower its good. If neither of the above are true try rousing the yeast a little and give it a day or so and check it again. If still nothing try warming it up a little and once it starts up drop back down to your 66F. If all of the above fails to produce results it after a few days I would consider pitching more yeast. most likely its fine and will start up soon!

Btw "stuck" means that your yeast has successfully started fermentation, but for various reasons it stopped before you reached your anticipated FG. Really, just let it be. Do not rouse it, or do anything else, it hasn't even been barely a day.

Marathon06 said:
whoohoo, airlock activity!!! Thanks for keeping me from doing something stupid!

Its ok, it happens. The first time I made a lagered beer it really did take almost 3 days to start showing signs of fermentation. If you pitch it, it will brew.

I started a Kolsch with this yeast yesterday. 24 hours and no activity. I am trusting in the wisdom of you beer prophets that this is not out of line for this yeast.

Being a noob, I haven't developed the patience I see displayed around here. This is a good exercise.

The strip thermometer on the pail (primary) reads 62/64. That's at the low end of the optimal range so I'm going to bring it up slightly (crack the door on the closet) and check again tomorrow.

On the outside chance I have to intervene (revitalize), how long can I wait without ruining the batch?

At 48 hours of no activity (airlock, krauzen, gravity, and taste) I moved the primary to a warmer closet. 12 hours at 67 degrees and the airlock is bubbling. This evening I'll move it back to the cool closet.

Back