stuck wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arkwright

Reaction score
Making 2.5 gal of red wine I used

7 cups sugar
4 cans grape juice
2.5 gal water
1 packet lavlin 1118 high gravity yeast (18% tolerant)
Brewing at 75 degrees

Its day 4 the first 3 days it was bubbling once per sec now there's no airlock activity at all
Iv stired the wine to resuppend any yeast at the bottom no effect.

I have no way to cheak S.G

How can I restart fermentaion?

No offense ment, but if you have no way of ckecking gravity what makes you think you need to restart fermentation. Airlock in and of itself is not an indication of fermentation.

I agree with BrewerBear and Yooper.

I have no way to cheak S.G

Yep, there's the problem and a simple one to overcome. A hydrometer and test cylinder is about $15 at your local home brew store. It's easy to use and fundamental to successfully making beer and wine. Without it, you're driving blind.

Because you don't have an original specific gravity you can't predict the alcohol level at completion. A packet of 1118 is a generous start for 2.5 gal of must, and with a low starting SG, it could be finished. Lalvin 1118 doesn't typically die unless it runs out of fermentable sugar.

You don't NEED to do anything to it right away. Get a hydrometer and take a reading asap. Only then will you know the status and how to proceed.

Another factor could be the grape juice you used. It would be helpful if you would specify exactly what kind of juice, what brand, the volume, and other ingredients (does it contain apple juice as filler, or preservatives?).

Don't give up, it might be just fine. Rack it in a couple weeks, let it age a while, then bottle and drink it. :)

Juice was welches concord grape juice concentrate no preservitives no fillers.
I'll have to order a hydrometer online like my yeast so it will take 3-4 days. There's no brew shops in alabama Since alabama still has prohobition era laws under state law.

Latest posts

Back