Stuck Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StankAle

Reaction score
I recently brewed a 10 gallon batch of oatmeal stout. I used Wyeast Irish and Wyeast London ESB with 900ml starters each with 5 gallons in each carboy.
Fermentation took off by the time I woke up. I have never seen such activity in the airlock before.
I took a gravity reading from each carboy to find the ESB stout @ 1.022 and the Irish Stout @ 1.020. The beers have been fermenting for about 7 days now with a OG of 1.060. At the peak of fermentation the beers were @ 68F. Now the beer is at about 64F with the yeast sitting on the bottom. No visible airlock activity..which doesn't always mean that the yeast is done.
I did add salts to this batch along with (unfortunately) iodized salt. I did not have kosher salt and I did not know at the time that iodine is poison to yeast.
As I stated above the yeast really took off in this batch. I did try to rouse the yeast in the ESB brew with little luck (didn't want to aerate).
Should I repitch a clean yeast to bring the gravity down? As of right now it tastes delicious but it has the mouthfeel of oil. It really needs to come down a few more points.
Thanks all,
Dustin

I recently brewed a 10 gallon batch of oatmeal stout. I used Wyeast Irish and Wyeast London ESB with 900ml starters each.
Fermentation took off by the time I woke up. I have never seen such activity in the airlock before.
I took a gravity reading from each carboy to find the ESB stout @ 1.022 and the Irish Stout @ 1.020. The beers have been fermenting for about 7 days now with a OG of 1.060. At the peak of fermentation the beers were @ 68F. Now the beer is at about 64F with the yeast sitting on the bottom. No visible airlock activity..which doesn't always mean that the yeast is done.
I did add salts to this batch along with (unfortunately) iodized salt. I did not have kosher salt and I did not know at the time that iodine is poison to yeast.
As I stated above the yeast really took off in this batch. I did try to rouse the yeast in the ESB brew with little luck (didn't want to aerate).
Should I repitch a clean yeast to bring the gravity down? As of right now it tastes delicious but it has the mouthfeel of oil. It really needs to come down a few more points.
Thanks all,
Dustin

I think that if the mouthfeel is oily, that there is some diacetyl that you're feeling in your mouth. I'd let it sit on the yeast cake another week before doing anything at all. It might come down a few more points on its own, and the yeast can clean up any stray diacetyl.

More information please. Recipe? What was your mash temp?

The combination of diacetyl (which 1968 produces a fair bit of), higher mash temps (favoring long chain dextrins) and the oats can add the perception of heaviness in mouthfeel. Sounds like you need a diacetyl rest to help the yeast clean up a bit.

Thanks Yooper,
I will go ahead and exercise some patience. After another week goes by I will check the gravity again.

More information please. Recipe? What was your mash temp?

The combination of diacetyl (which 1968 produces a fair bit of), higher mash temps (favoring long chain dextrins) and the oats can add the perception of heaviness in mouthfeel. Sounds like you need a diacetyl rest to help the yeast clean up a bit.

I mashed at 155 (10 gallon batch)
I dont have the exact recipe here at work. it went something like this:
13lb Maris Otter
1lb Crystal 80
1lb Victory malt
1.75 lb flaked Oats
.5lb Roasted Barley
.5 lb Chocolate malt
2.5oz EKG 60 min boil.

Not sure who similar yours is to the one I made (AG vs Extract), but mine was stuck at 1.020 for weeks. It was left in primary for a month. I think the FG was ~1.012. Need to check my notes.

Similar symptoms as yours. Plus the older it got, the better it tasted! I am now down to one bottle! :(

Back