Stuck Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bub

Reaction score
I am brewing a smoked porter that had a starting gravity of 1.074 using white labs american ale yeast blend WLP060. I did not make a starter and used only 1 container of yeast which is 35 ml. After 5 days of fermentation I checked my gravity and it was 1.010 on the 8th day of fermentation I checked and it was still 1.010. I did try and shake up the brew bucket to hopefully reactivate the yeast so Im waiting to see if that helped. If the gravity doesn't change what would my options be at this point? Pitch more yeast or `is it too soon to bottle? I guess I don't know what happens if you bottle when there is still sugars to be fermented in the beer. I can and will probably wait another week. Typically Im brewing IPAs that are around the the 5% range and I have not brewed a beer that could be in the 8-10%. Many times in 7 days my fermentation is completed and i start bottling, but this is a bigger beer.

With a starting gravity of 1.074 and the current gravity at 1.010, your fermentation isn't stuck, it's done. You have excellent attenuation for such a big beer. Wait a few more days so more of the yeast settles out and then bottle it. Your 2 hydrometer samples 3 days apart that matched says the beer is ready to bottle.

With a starting gravity of 1.074 and the current gravity at 1.010, your fermentation isn't stuck, it's done. You have excellent attenuation for such a big beer. Wait a few more days so more of the yeast settles out and then bottle it. Your 2 hydrometer samples 3 days apart that matched says the beer is ready to bottle.
Totally agreed.

Ok, so I am fermenting an RIS which I had planned for BIG abv. I ran it up to 1.114 OG, and it has fermented over the course of 2 weeks to 1.040. I would REALLY like to see it at 1.020 before I keg it, but the bubbling has essentially stopped. Can I pitch it again? Should I stir it? Should I just move it to secondary and see if that reinvigorates the yeast? Any advise is appreciated.

OP I completely agree with RM.

@svthomas72 someone else might have another good suggestion but I repitch yeast at high krausen. If you have means to secondary it would be a good time when you still have healthy yeast in solution still. 1 million cells per mL will give a good result if the strain you use can handle the alcohol. A quick calculation would put a 5 gallon batch at about 19b cells. That would be roughly 1/5 a yeast pack. If it's dry yeast and you don't have the time/materials to do starters, a simple rehydration would do you fine. Either way, a pack of yeast into 500mL of liquid and pitch 100 of it.

OP I completely agree with RM.

@svthomas72 someone else might have another good suggestion but I repitch yeast at high krausen. If you have means to secondary it would be a good time when you still have healthy yeast in solution still. 1 million cells per mL will give a good result if the strain you use can handle the alcohol. A quick calculation would put a 5 gallon batch at about 19b cells. That would be roughly 1/5 a yeast pack. If it's dry yeast and you don't have the time/materials to do starters, a simple rehydration would do you fine. Either way, a pack of yeast into 500mL of liquid and pitch 100 of it.
Gracias!

Ok, so I am fermenting an RIS which I had planned for BIG abv. I ran it up to 1.114 OG, and it has fermented over the course of 2 weeks to 1.040. I would REALLY like to see it at 1.020 before I keg it, but the bubbling has essentially stopped. Can I pitch it again? Should I stir it? Should I just move it to secondary and see if that reinvigorates the yeast? Any advise is appreciated.

Is the fermentation stalled or just plain done? Recipes help as there can be a significant amount of unfermentable sugars that keep your beer from attenuating further. Also read this short article. It may tell you about your beer as it might not be done yet.

http://www.brewgeeks.com/the-life-cycle-of-yeast.html

So i Did bottle the beer after letting things settle down for a few days. Followed my normal procedure for bottling. And after 1 week in the bottle tastes great. It however, is getting better as it ages. Thanks for the help and responses.

Your beer has likely hit a wall in terms of fermentables for most yeast. Repitch with 3711 or Dry Belgian if you wanna go any further.

Latest posts

Back