Stuck Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carnage1371

Reaction score
Hello,

About a week ago I started an Oktoberfest. Followed all directions. The only thing I did different was I doubled the Amber malt extract. Anyway, I had airlock activity almost instantly and that thing churned pretty fast for a day and a half before it stopped. I tried repitching yeast as I had thought I killed the brew because the temp in my apt went up to 75 degrees F. No activity after repitching unless I shake the carboy, then the airlock will spit a few bubbles for a few seconds before stopping again. Could the fermentation be complete or does it sound stuck?

not nearly enough info to hazard a guess

OG? FG? Recipe?
75 will not kill yeast and a week is hardly enough time to call'er quits

Got a hydrometer? Use that to check gravity. You didn't need to repitch, especially with that OG. Your yeast will give you temperature ranges, I bet whatever you used would show that 75 was okay.

An OG of 1.032 seems very low, especially with doubling some of the extract. Your hydrometer could have read that low if top off water, if used, was not thoroughly mixed with the boiled wort during aeration.

An actual 1.032 OG could have finished quickly, at high fermentation temperatures.

Give it more time, then check SG again.

a 1.032 octoberfest?? regardless at that low an OG it's probably already finished fermenting, now let clear, bottle, enjoy

you sure the OG was 1.032? you mentioned doubling the extract. Something not right here. Post your recipe

I used 5 gallons of water in the wort. I am gonna check the SG and get back to you guys.

Airlock activity is not always a good sign of fermentation progress. Take a gravity reading today, wait a few days and take another. If it hasn't changed, then you might need to repitch.

New gravity reading is 1.018 could sugar content be the issue?

Your SG is a reading of remaining sugars in the beer. It would help to post the recipe. If one of the ingredients was unfermentable lactose, then it may be possible you are at Final Gravity.

5gal water
8oz weyermann melanoidin malt
6.6lbs Amber LME
2lb light DME
2oz liberty hop pellets
Muntons ale yeast

Must was in the high 80's during the OG reading. Is it possible that the warmth could have thrown it off? I am new at this and that was my first shot at a beer.

Must was in the high 80's during the OG reading. Is it possible that the warmth could have thrown it off? I am new at this and that was my first shot at a beer.

For a hydrometer calibrated to 60°F, 0.004 would be added to the SG reading if the wort was 89°F. The calibration temperature is printed on the card inside your hydrometer. This is a link to Palmers older edition brewing book with a chart for temperature corrections.
http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixA.html
Your hydrometer could be calibrated to 68°. This would result in adding approximately 0.003 to your hydrometer reading. This is a link to a hydrometer correction tool. Other good tools at this site also.
http://www.brewersfriend.com/hydrometer-temp/

Most of the information in this book is still good. Some information is out dated. Is a conundrum for a new brewer though, which information is good and which is not. Still is good reading.

edit: Your hydrometer should read 0.000 in distilled water at the calibration temperature. Very close to 0.000 in tap water.

Latest posts

Back