Stuck Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bentat420

Reaction score
On December 23 I brewed a 10 gallon batch of the following recipe:

TRAPPIST-STYLE TRIPPEL

Deep gold hue, strong, slightly sweet with a slight hop bite
2 lbs. Old Bavarian Munich Blend
6 lbs. light malt extract
1 lb. light brown (or white candi) sugar (end of boil)
1/2 lb. Belgian Cara-pils malt
2 lbs. Belgian pilsner malt
1 1/2 oz. Hallertauer hops (bittering)
1 oz. Fuggles hops (flavoring)
1/2 oz. Czech Saaz hops (finishing)
White Labs Abbey Ale Yeast
O.G. - 1.074 -- F. G. - 1.016

The O.G. was a little higher (1.083) for each five gallon carboy. I split the 10 gallon batch into two seperate fermentation buckets.. All went well, and after 9 days I transfered to Secondary Carboy. After a couple weeks and no activity, I checked the specific gravety for both batches (1.022). I gave it a few days, and check again with no change. I decided to add some moere yeast to each batch to see if I could reach the F.G. of 1.016. After another week or so, there has been no change. I keep the carboys in my closet, and keep the house around 68° to 70°. What else can I do to reach my F.G.?​

The beer has clarified very well, I would normally keg at this point.

Cheers,
David L.

If it tastes ok, keg it---if you want it a little dryer you could switch to a more agressive yeast to finish the batch, just be careful with the strain. Some yeasts, although great for wine etc., will dry it out too far and you will be left with a highly alcoholic beverage with very little flavor.

it's abit on the lower end of the App. Attenuation (72.9%) but it's still normal for that strain. (73-78%).

What temp is your secondary at? Give the carboy a little swirl and see if it fernment out a bit more over another week.

Or you could add some ec1118. But that may ferment it out further than you want. But it is high alc tolerant. Probably bring it down to 1.012-1.014

Even as is you are at 8.11% a/v. Probably more than your current yeast can handle. Though do you really want it higher? :)

It probably won't seem as sweet once carbonated. Carbonic acid (from the CO2) can change your tounge's perception of sweetness. Plus the CO2 bubbles bring out the hop aromas. I had a high gravity batch that I thought would be to sweet, but bottled in anyway, ended up tasting bitter, like I wanted.

I think Denny's Brew statements are right on target. Go ahead and carbonate and age for 2-3 months... if you can make it that far. Forcing the FG a few more points isn't going to change much that you will be able to taste and could really screw-up a decent beer.

The secondary is kept around 68 to 70 degrees, and I have tried swirling it around a bit, so maybe this is just what its wants to be.

If I go ahead and keg it, I don't think it will make it more than a week, two at the most. I have a bad habbit of drinking too much....

I haven't bottled a batch in several years, so maybe it is time.. Thanks for the advice from everyone.

bentat420 said:
I dont think its the hydrometer, I have two other batches that have reached it target F.G..

You could let it age in the secondary for a few weeks instead of bottling it.

Also I had a High OG beer that semi stalled like yours and I added a bit of yeast energiser and gave it a swirl and it fermented down a few more points.

You could also try adding a bit more of the same yeast you used. Though if you used a liquid yeast that won't be very convenient.

Back