Stuck Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After I racked the last 2 beers I brewed from the primary to the secondary the specific gravity did not change. I used a yeast starter for both and let them sit in the secondary for two weeks. I use a mini fridge with temp controller an kept the temp in the middle of white labs recommended band.

How long where they in Primary/Secondary?
I just let mine stay in Primary until it's done (3 weeks or so)

:confused:
You should not be racking beer to secondary UNTIL final gravity is confirmed so there should be no change in FG once in the secondary, not sure what the problem is................:drunk:

Why do you think they are stuck?

I guess next time I will just let it sit in the primary longer. I expected a lower final gravity than I got.

What was your FG?
What were you expecting?
Extract or All Grain recipe?

If you provide details more answers can be provided.

Final gravity for sweet stout was 1.024 ad 1.020 for Irish red. Both were all grain. The Sweet stout was a 5 gallon batch done normal all grain style and the Irish red was a 3 gallon biab done on a stove top.

The stout gave you 64% attenuation and the ale gave you 60% attenuation and since you did not give us the strains of yeast it is difficult to say but they seem to be the lower end of expected attenuation.
(OG-FG)/(OG-1)x100=Apparent attenuation

All grain poses a lot of variables such as recipe/grain bill, mash temperatures, PH, duration of mash, aeration of wort, pitch rate, fermentation temperature, etc.

Like I said before, and I agree you probably should have gotten better attenuation, but with out all the specifics there is no way to help you out...............

The yeast for the Irish red was white labs pacific ale yeast 041. I don't have my notes and I can't remember what I used for the stout but I think it was white labs Irish ale yeast 004

041 is rated at 65-70% and 004 is rated at 69-74% both of which are slightly better than what you achieved so without further specifics of the recipe and your process including mash temperatures and recipes and the other items mentioned there is not much further help to be provided at this time.................

Ideas:
1. too high a mash temperature
2. poor aeration
3. low pitch rate
4. Moved beer to secondary before FG was met causing stuck fermentation

Back