Stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mochigeorge

Reaction score
I started a BrewFerm Triple 8 days ago and after 24hrs of vigorous activity, things suddenly came to a halt and it's been stuck at 1.025 for the last 4 days.

The wort consisted of;

11 Litres of water
1500g Brewferm Triple LME
500g Muntons Light DME

After aerating the work for 5mins and adding some yeast nutrient, I pitched a fresh rehydrated pack of Safbrew S-33 yeast at 27degreesC and it has been a constant 25degress C ever since.

My OG was 1.060 and won't drop below 1.025.

I've brewed a few batches and have never had this problem before except once with AGAIN, a BREWFERM kit, Abdij. I ruined the Abdij by aerating at 1.025, adding more yeast and fermentables to no avail and don't want to repeat the mistake.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'd like to free up my fermenter and get the next batch going before the hot Japanese summer temperatures roll in!:mug:

Have you tasted it? Is it still sweet?

You could try making a starter with some Safbrew S-33 with some DME at 1.050 or so and waiting until high kraeusen (should take two days or so) to pitch that into your fermenter.
Another trick I read is to make a starter with a small amount of lager yeast and pitch that into your stuck fermentation.

Thanks for the swift reply!

Yes, it's a little sweet. I'm just concerned about adding priming sugar and bottling it at such a high gravity. Can't risk bottle bombs with a baby running around my apartment.

So I've made a starter but I didn't have any more yeast so I took a load of yeast cake from the stuck fermentations tank. Boiled 500ml of water and 150ml of LME.{Didn't have DME either} and have added the cake. Fingers crossed that the yeast still has life left in it!

Any clues as to why I only get stuck fermentation with the Brewferm kits?

Latest posts

Back