Stuck Fermentation Screwup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bondra76

Reaction score
Could use the communities help here. I screwed up on my last brew.

Made Revys Belgian Leffe Blonde Clone and it was near the end of winter here in Denver CO and it was admittedly cold in my basement. My fermentation stuck at 1.03 - target was around 1.010ish.

Here’s the kicker - I had to leave for Europe and on the last day I transferred my beer to a keg and put it under pressure. I was pretty stressed for time to leave on vacation and didn’t have a chance to secondary the beer or pitch more yeast. I know I sinned there but I couldn’t leave my beer in primary for nearly 2 months.

When I get home my beer will be all carbed up but will be sugary for sure. Any advice on how I can recover this beer? It won’t break my heart to just start over and lose it but if I can salvage anything it would be nice.

Does your keg have a PRV? Because the most likely scenario is that the beer will keep fermenting and pressure will rise, without a PRV the keg will likely burst sooner or later.

ugh - I have a coupler on it with a manual PRV (on the coupler, not the keg itself). I use sanke kegs - not the regular soda/cornies

I had similar situation once but I took chances and emptied the beer into a fermenter bucket and pitched in started yeast with some added sugar and it went on to ferment nicely. I took out a sample first and kept at room temperature and had a feeling it'll restart. In my experience, pressure doesn't impact viability too much and preserves flavour of hops too.

Back