Stuck Fermentation or Done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STL_Lucas

Reaction score
Been working on my first batch of mead and began on 11/9 with an OG of 1.100. Recipe was 3lbs of Orange Blossom Honey to 1 gallon of water. I rehydrated yeast and mixed 1tsp of yeast nutrient into the must before pitching. I also mixed 1/2 tsp of yeast energizer at 24 hours, 1/4 tsp at 48 hours and 1/8 tsp at 72 hours. SG was dropping pretty quick but on 11/15 it was at 1.040 and I got 1.040 again tonight. Is this done fermenting at 7.8% and a sweet mead or should it have fermented lower? I was under the impression it should have went down to 1.000? Any advice or tips would be much appreciated, thanks in advance!

11/9 = 1.100
11/10 = 1.090
11/11 = 1.074
11/12 = 1.060
11/15 = 1.040

I used Lalvin 1118 and it did ferment a little warm, around 70 but the temp has been consistent the whole time. A bit of banana smell but it's not overpowering. I assumed that was from the warmer temp and that it would go away with some age. Once it was done fermenting I was also going to rack into a 1g jug over some fruit but wanted to wait until I knew it was done.

If you can, check the pH (litmus strips of a 2.5 to 4.5 sort of range or better still a pH meter).

The sweet spot is about the 3.5 pH area, if it drops below 3.0 it can stall the ferment - its an issue with meads and particularly with traditionals........which is what you have here.

If its too low, then potassium carbonate does the trick......

Thanks fatbloke. I have some ph test aquarium strips, I'll try one of these and see if I can get a reading.

Back