Stuck at 1.016

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddibbern5

Reaction score
I’m 10 days in on a Belgian wit using wyeast 3944.

Details
2L starter
og 1.060

Ferment-
2 days @ 62 (when airlock slowed increased temp)
5 days @ 70
3 days @ 75
The beer is clear with surprisingly very little yeast in suspension and no airlock activity in 5 days...

I’ll wait a few more days and take a second reading, but my question is...
Is there anything I can do to improve my chances of hitting my target FG of 1.011?
Shake the carboy to “wake up yeast”?

I know the beer will be good just want to do everything I can to get the last few gravity points.

Thanks in advance!

I’m 10 days in on a Belgian wit using wyeast 3944.

Details
2L starter
og 1.060

Ferment-
2 days @ 62 (when airlock slowed increased temp)
5 days @ 70
3 days @ 75
The beer is clear with surprisingly very little yeast in suspension and no airlock activity in 5 days...

I’ll wait a few more days and take a second reading, but my question is...
Is there anything I can do to improve my chances of hitting my target FG of 1.011?
Shake the carboy to “wake up yeast”?

I know the beer will be good just want to do everything I can to get the last few gravity points.

Thanks in advance!

Can we have your grain bill and mash schedule?

I have not used that yeast but those temps seem on the higher side for fermentation and if its a yeast for wit then flocculation shouldn't be an issue. So, my guess would be a higher mash temp producing unfermentable sugars.

FG in a recipe is just a prediction based on calculation formulas. My guess is that it is done. You might try swirling (gently) the sediment up. If it tastes good.... Any extreme attempts to the the final 5 points is more likely to do harm than good.

@sborz22 sure it’s
5 lb. German Pils
5 lb. flaked wheat
.5 lb acidulated malt
1 lb. flaked oats
.25 lb. Munich Malt
1 lb. domestic 6 row
Miab 155 deg 90 min
Thanks for your help!

@kh54s10 yeah that’s what I was afraid of, I just haven’t had a beer that finishes above 1.010 yet & was curious if there was anything I could do...? The beer tastes pretty good. Great upfront but a little bite on the back end? Don’t think that has anything to do with unfinished fermentation though....?
Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Agree with kh54s10. It's probably done. Mashing at 155 could account for higher FG especially since it could even have been a degree of two more. Either way, you probably won't notice the difference in the final product. Cheers!

That strain has a 72%-76% attenuation range and you are at 72% now. Getting down to 1.011 would put you at 81% attenuation, too high for that strain.

1.016 is very acceptable attenuation for an OG of 1.060. 1.060 is pretty dang big for a wit by the way, I’d have to check but off the top of my head I think style guidelines is 1.040-1.050. It’s supposed to be a light refreshing session style wheat beer with low hop character and the yeast producing the majority of the character of the beer with clove, orange, black pepper, and coriander notes. The yeast should create these flavors, and these adjuncts should not be added. That is how we as judges view this style.

With that being said, that yeast did exactly what it’s supposed to do. That strain does well hot (high 60s low 70s) and will throw those esters the style is known for at upper end of the temp range.

You’ll be fine at 1.016. Not too sweet, but I’m afraid not in style. Drink the beer and enjoy it

Thanks all for the information.
Yes target OG was 1.050 but first brew on new system... Will adjust for next run...
BJCP standard is
1.052 OG (max)
1.008 FG

Try brewing it again if it’s a recipe you like and don’t change anything. If you hit the same numbers you’ll know where to dial in your system and what efficiency you’re getting.

Back