Struggling to identify off flavour - Need help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRTurner1234

Reaction score
Hi All,

656c195f9e1b06e840f16ff8d19b142c.jpg

Ive been brewing for about 1.5 years and have done 7 batches. I've done kit, extract and BIAB but in 6 out of 7 batches there has been a weird off flavour that I can't identify and cant fix.

I'm finding it really difficult to describe the flavour - it's like nothing I've tasted before. Potentially it is medicinal / clove like / chemically in flavour (but this may just be the books putting words in my mouth!)

I've tried the most common fixes and have run experiments changing different variable, but am now stuck.

I've ruled out:
- fermentation temperatures (I control with an STC-1000) and have calibrated this
- under/over pitching (I've used yeast starters, properly calculated)
- Chlorine in the water (I've treated with Campden)
- Failure of sanitiser (I've tried star san and sodium percarbonate.
- My fermentation vessel (I've switched between my bucket and demi-johns)
- Green beer

Notes:

- Grain is stored in the plastic bags that they were supplied in
- Yeast is stored in fridge at 3C
- Hops are stored in fridge at 3C

Is anyone will to be a volunteer to help me identify this weird flavour? I'll send beer through the post to anyone who is willing to help me.

Some additional potential clues:

- the flavour is not present before bottling
- the flavour develops after about 2 weeks in bottles
- the flavour is almost not perceptible on drinking
- the flavour is very noticeable when burping
- the bottles are not gushing

I'm ready to answer any additional questions!

I really need to solve this as I'm beginning to fall out of love with this hobby :(

Thanks,
Jamie

It could potentially be caused by old/improperly stored grains as well. How do you store your yeast, extracts, hops, grains?

It could potentially be caused by old/improperly stored grains as well. How do you store your yeast, extracts, hops, grains?

Hi uniondr

- Grain is stored in the plastic bags that they were supplied in
- Yeast is stored in fridge at 3C
- Hops are stored in fridge at 3C

I'm experiencing this off flavour with both all grain and DME extract brews.

Cheers,
Jamie

Hops should be stored in the freezer for best quality in longevity. Yeast storage is fine, but how long are/were they stored before use? Yeast has a limited shelf life, even kept chilled.

Hops should be stored in the freezer for best quality in longevity. Yeast storage is fine, but how long are/were they stored before use? Yeast has a limited shelf life, even kept chilled.

1 month max for the liquid yeast.

But, I've had the same issue with dry yeast too.

Since it only happens after bottling, I would focus there. Maybe your siphon and/or tube are dirty and need replaced. Or your bottling bucket. How do you wash/rinse and sanitize the bottles? Where do you store the bottles while conditioning and at what temperature?

Also, my tap water is so bad that I don't even mess with it even with campden tablets. Have you tried spring water?

Since it only happens after bottling, I would focus there. Maybe your siphon and/or tube are dirty and need replaced. Or your bottling bucket. How do you wash/rinse and sanitize the bottles? Where do you store the bottles while conditioning and at what temperature?

Also, my tap water is so bad that I don't even mess with it even with campden tablets. Have you tried spring water?

+1 to this.

Additionally, what water source do you use to make your priming solution? I ruined a couple of otherwise fine batches early on by thoughtlessly making my priming solution with untreated tap water.

Another thing to consider, if you check all of this and it doesn't seem to be the issue, is that the problem *could* be there prior to bottling and only become evident once the beer is carbonated. There are a number of off flavors that (for me, at least) are really hard to pick up on when taking a flat sample, but that stand out prominently after carbonation.

That was my original focus. Off-flavors brewed or fermented into it from the various ingredients. They can show up more prominently in the finished product. Barring that, unsanitary equipment along the line somewhere?

do a blind taste test with a few different beers. maybes its in your head.

Back