Strong Braggot recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mccann51

Reaction score
Hi, all.

I'm interested in brewing a really high gravity braggot, and I was looking for some advice on what malt to use. I plan to use White Labs High Gravity Yeast. I'm gonna push it and see if it can ferment a 1.145-1.150 OG wort-must (wust?). I'm gonna have most of my fermentables be from the honey (2/3) so that the FG hopefully isn't above 1.010. I'm kind of going for a Belgian Quad-Barleywine approach in the grain-bill; I read the High Gravity Yeast gives off more Belgian-style esters the higher the gravity goes.

Right now, my grain bill for a 2.5 gal batch is:
6 lbs Maris Otter
2 lbs malted rye
1 lb Special B
1 lb melanoidin

This'll give me about 1.050, and so I'll make up the rest of the OG with some honey varietals (~7-8 lbs).

My two big questions are: is the malted rye gonna work for a big brew like this? I don't want the flavor to get muddy, but it seems like the spicyness from the rye would be at home in a barleywine or quad; does this make sense? And, will the melanoidin and Special B be giving me much body, or should I consider swapping some out for some Carapils or Crystal malt? I realize this is gonna be dry, but I do want it to have some beer body.

I guess while I'm asking, I was thinking about having 2-4 oz of Warrior at 60 mins. This seem good?

And since I'm guess it will come up, I plan to add a goodly amount of Fermaid K and aerate the bejesus out of this one up to the 1/3 mark.

Thanks for any advice.

Back