Strawberry wine question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oneoffcustom

Reaction score
Just started my first batch ever of wine. To start out i used a 96oz can of vinters reserve strawberry base with about 7lb of sugar. After all was mixed into my primary fermenter (food grade bucket with airlock) i was at 15% possible alcohol, and sg of 1.110. Today i checked sg and was at 1.04sg. I racked wine into secondary (3 gallon glass carboy with airlock).

My question is, will it take some time to begin fermenting again?

check the sg again tomorrow and see if it is still dropping if it hasn't then it is stuck, but more likely you will notice it is dropping still.

Here is a picture. Does it look to full?

image.jpg

Looks pretty good just make sure it doesnt drip out the top:) 1.04 is a little early, you can easily wait until its at 1.02 or even some people wait until 1.0. Looks like you got some good color. If you want to boost the strawberry flavor and smell even more then you can add some frozen strawberries, like about 5 pounds and let it set in there for a couple of days. That way when you open up a bottle it will fill the whole house up with strawberry but there will still be plenty left in the bottle. WVMJ

WVMJ said:
Looks pretty good just make sure it doesnt drip out the top:) 1.04 is a little early, you can easily wait until its at 1.02 or even some people wait until 1.0. Looks like you got some good color. If you want to boost the strawberry flavor and smell even more then you can add some frozen strawberries, like about 5 pounds and let it set in there for a couple of days. That way when you open up a bottle it will fill the whole house up with strawberry but there will still be plenty left in the bottle. WVMJ

Thanks. I guess I'll give it about two weeks in this carboy and then test again.

Ok so strawberry wine is finally sitting at .9, but has a strong yeasty taste and smell. I have not added anything, no racked again since secondary fermentation. What should I do to help with this taste. I estimate it to be bout 3 months at this point.

If stabilized with camp den tabs will that kill the taste?

I'd rack again and keep racking whenever there's 1/4 of lees or every 60 days until clear and just let it bulk age for awhile...

I also have my first ever batch of strawberry going, from whole frozen berries. It's about day 5 of primary, the recipe I got (which I modified) from Jack Keller says to stir it daily. I noticed today some of the krausen has started turning gray....is this normal? I assume because it's floating at the top and begins to dry out a bit it's like any fruit left out that it begins to change color. It smelled really great like berries for the first few days, now it really stinks! Are these normal symptoms of a strawberry brew?

Latest posts

Back