Strawberry-Rhubarb-Spice-Methomel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tooomanycolors

Reaction score
Idea:

21lbs Basswodd/Sweet Clover honey
~7lbs strawberrys-pureed
~3-4lbs rhubarb, just stick the stalks in there
nutrient
energizer
3-5 sticks real cinnamon, crushed
2-3 Vanilla beans
water to 6gallons, ~4gallons

note, fruit is purely for flavor not additional sugar, cinnamon will be put in primary and the addition of vanilla beans will be during secondary

also to make room for this my goldenrod mead is going on tap this weekend:mug::drunk:

That's going to be a really sweet mead, as it works out to about 3.5# per gallon of mead, not to mention the addition of the sugar from the fruit, a bit cloying for my tastes, but to each their own. If it were me I'd probably bump it down to 18# of honey, or even 16#

nope, this is the same honey and yeast used in my grapefruit mead, by controlling the pH and possibly doing staggered nutrient it will be possible to make the mead ferment out to a lower gravity, or if I get lucky Ill get another mutant packet of yeast. Also the sugars from the fruit will not be used as fermentables the fruit is strictly for flavor.

That's going to be a really sweet mead, as it works out to about 3.5# per gallon of mead
NOooooo! Toomanycolors will surely search out a yeast (Premiere Cuve) that will easily metabolize that amount of sugar.

Sounds Fantastic to me! Right up my alley!
If you take it dry, I'd wonder about the bitterness of the Rhubarb coming through and acting liek Tannin in the finished product? Very nice. I'll bet this is one of your better ideas.

Oh kahuna when z987k come out Im gonna send a bottle of grapefruit and strawberry with him for you. just a note the strawberry tasted young a couple months ago and the grapefruit is amazing chilled:mug:

Oh kahuna when z987k come out Im gonna send a bottle of grapefruit and strawberry with him for you. just a note the strawberry tasted young a couple months ago and the grapefruit is amazing chilled:mug:

COOL MAN!

I'll be finding something...maybe Beer :mad: to send back with him....but I will definitely send you some strawberry to compare. I may have it bottled by then. :tank:

Yeah, the way I figure it, it should be between 16 and 17% abv. So taking it to dryness shouldn't be terribly hard for a nice wine or champagne yeast. Especially if he does staggered nutrient additions. I too think this sounds delicious, reminds me of the fresh wild starwberry/rhubarb pies my aunt and grandma used to make. Except this one has an age limit :)

maybe someone can enlighten me on the subject, but I don't understand how strawberries can be added without upping the SG, unless you're doing extract?

they will add a little bit of sugar, the Sg of a lb of strawberries is like 1.002 according to gotmead.com's calculator. So its kinda negligible. also the rhubarb is tart so it will balance out. And yes this is not meant to be a dry mead, aiming for 1.015 to 1.025 ish. So est OG is 1.120 and with a 1.015 FG its just under 14% so dryer is a possibilty.

Note the grapefruit mead was OG 1.157 FG 1.004, without any extra attention using the 71B yeast strain.

they will add a little bit of sugar, the Sg of a lb of strawberries is like 1.002 according to gotmead.com's calculator. So its kinda negligible. also the rhubarb is tart so it will balance out. And yes this is not meant to be a dry mead, aiming for 1.015 to 1.025 ish. So est OG is 1.120 and with a 1.015 FG its just under 14% so dryer is a possibilty.

Note the grapefruit mead was OG 1.157 FG 1.004, without any extra attention using the 71B yeast strain.

D-47! Craps out 2% Shy every time! Except when you want it to! :(

So I have found the strawberries, but anyone happen to have some rhubarb? I dont know if Ill be able to find any.....please dont let my dream die.

Pick up the phone.
Call ALL SafeWay stores in the ara, be sure to ask where if they do not, then call the Albertsons, then the King Soopers....Then check out the CostCo and Sams Clubs....you'll come up with some.

Or just post in the Classified section.

haha king soopers, the only time i see one of those is when Im in the springs at my grandparents house:D

I've never found decent rhubarb at a grocery store. If I'm really in need, I'll hit the farmers markets. Otherwise, I just has my gramma. She has about a dozen rhubarb plants in her yard so her freezer has a couple dozen pints at any given time. :D I love my gramma

label idea

Straw_Rhubcopy.jpg

Latest posts

Back