Strawberry Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubasteve03

Reaction score
I've made a few simple meads before and had some decent results with a modified version of JOAM, so I figured I would give it a shot with putting together something just as easy myself. This is something I wanted to try to make to make the swmbo happy.

Here's what I did:

1 Gal batch
3 lbs Desert Mosquite Honey
1 lbs Strawberries
pectic enzyme (per the directions of the manufacturer)
yeast nutrient (per the directions of the manufacturer)
US05 yeast as that was what I had on hand and I used it for JOAM with good results.

Ive had the itch to brew something for a while and havent had the time to brew beer. Tell me what you think and if there are any improvements I could do in the future to improve it.:mug:

Fermented strawberry is a bit weird.

I'm thinking you'll need to let it finish, stabilise it, then back sweeten it and then rack it onto another 3lb of fruit and let it steep for a month or two.....

I'm starting a strawberry mead tonight. I don't plan on doing anything with strawberries until backsweetening. I'm going to make a traditional batch of mead (With red currant jam + pectic enzyme added). Then I'm going to add strawberry juice to back-sweeten it.

I agree with FB here, you're going to need a lot more strawberries to get any flavor out of it.

I agree with FB fermented strawberry is weird! I did a batch of strawberry mead and it tasted like the seeds in a really bad way. I used upwards of 8lbs in a 3 gallon batch. A blend of gasoline and strawberry seeds:)

I've had very good luck with blueberry mead if your lady is into those!

I agree with FB fermented strawberry is weird! I did a batch of strawberry mead and it tasted like the seeds in a really bad way. I used upwards of 8lbs in a 3 gallon batch. A blend of gasoline and strawberry seeds:)

I've had very good luck with blueberry mead if your lady is into those!

Just wait till this ages. It will be wonderful. Unfortunately, that's at least a year of aging, if not a year and a half.

Matrix

I was going to do a blueberry mead but when I went to the store all the blueberrys looked like crap so I picked up the straw berries instead. I'm gonna swing by the farmers market this weekend to see if there is any good local organic honey and try a blueberry mead.

Back