Strawberry addition contact time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billagio

Reaction score
Hi All,

Added 12.5lbs of frozen (thawed and heated before adding) strawberries to secondary in my recent 5gal batch of American Wheat Ale. Wondering how long I should leave them in for? People drinking this like a fruit forward flavor so not worried about the flavor being too overwhelming. Mostly worried that if I leave things in there too long the fruit might go bad and affect the beer?

Side note: was hoping to get more of a red color out of this but it looks like its still the normal brown/orange wheat ale color. Any suggestions for how to get that red color?

Making your beer as light-colored as possible would do it and bring out the red but that's advice for next time. Once it's already on the darker side, I don't know.
The fruit won't go bad in your beer as long as you took measures like pasteurizing. If improperly prepared, the fruit won't go bad but would negatively effect the beer.
A week or so is a good time (in my opinion). The beer will likely become dryer though and need back sweeting with a non-fermenting sweetener.

I just opened a strawberry ale I made and I left the strawberry's in secondary for only 1 week. Turn out great. As for color my went from a blonde to darker color not red. At this point it may be impossible to get the red color, since it is dark. Ages ago, I did a similar beer using a light beer kit and that one turned red, but it was a hazy red. which is expected since fruit has pectin.

Leave them in as long as it takes to fully ferment all of the sugars. Usually just a few days. Longer is ok. If you want to get a nice red color add hibiscus tea. 4 oz of hibiscus flowers (from Amazon) with 5 cups RO water boiled for a few minutes. Steep for an hour or two and strain into the fermentor. I usually add 3 oz to the boil and 3 oz to the fermentor, but one slightly larger addition at this point will work. Very little flavor addition...
IMG_3887.jpg

Thanks! Was thinking about hibiscus as well! So 4oz steeped in 5cups of water, then all 5 cups (strained) into the fermentor? How long do you let that sit for?

@Billagio I let it steep for an hour. It gets a very deep red, and absorbs quite a bit of the water. I use the back of my brew spoon to squish more of the fluid out through the strainer.

Back