Strainer possibility.. Any Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthonyb15fd

Reaction score
I use a turkey fryer to boil my wort. I was wondering and thinking.. What if I drilled some holes in the pot cover. I boil my wort, cool it, and when I get ready to pour it in the fermenting bucket I put the cover on the pot and strain the wort so all of the "stuff" stays behind and doesnt get in my fermenting bucket.. Would something like that work? or should I not even bother, or does that "stuff" need to stay in the wort to flavor it while its fermenting..? I dont know.. Does anyone have advise...??

Thanks
AB

I doubt it would work. You couldn't drill holes small enough to allow steam and wort to get out, but keep break material and hops in. Personally I don't worry about it. The trub doesn't hurt the beer any. In fact, many people believe the extra proteins and what not are beneficial. But, if you want to strain, just buy a 10"+ strainer with a handle. It will hook over the top of your bucket. Strain the wort through it. It will catch the majority of the break material and hops.

I just got a jumbo sized kitchen strainer that sits on my fermenter and pour through that. Works like a charm.

Since I use a wort chiller the wort is cool, so I just use my autosiphon to rack from kettle to fermenter, leaving nearly all the break material and hop gunk behind in the kettle.

Back