Strainer ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puttster

Reaction score
I've been suspending my grain bag over the 30 qt brewing bucket with an engine hoist, and sparging by pouring water through the bag. Kind of a pain getting the hoist out and anyway I don't get a good feeling my rinsing method is very efficient.

I saw this gold panner at Home Depot for $10. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Estwing-13-oz-16-in-Black-Plastic-Gold-Pan-BP-16/203075818 Looks like I could drill holes in it and just lift and set the bag on top. Hopefully it wont sag down into the bucket or melt or add plastic taste or... Before I go and invest that kind of money, I wonder if anyone has something like this in use and if it works okay.

It's strong enough to allow you to squeeze the bag hard without deforming. Sits nicely on top of the BK. It's also guaranteed to be food safe.

Brew on :mug:

Personally I use something like this..I have one that is 12" in diameter and one 8"..They work great as I can rest them on the kettle with the bag in there to drain and rinse..

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I believe the pour sparge technique doesn't give a good penetration into the grain sack. I've done Dunk Sparges before and you are guaranteed to get the sparge water mixed in with the grain doing that.

How big is you mash tun? Can you do a full volume mash? Many BIAB people I know skip the sparge. The difference in efficiency between a sparge and full volume mash is very small since the wort is so diluted to begin with.

Personally I believe the pour sparge technique doesn't give a good penetration into the grain sack. I've done Dunk Sparges before and you are guaranteed to get the sparge water mixed in with the grain doing that.

How big is you mash tun? Can you do a full volume mash? Many BIAB people I know skip the sparge. The difference in efficiency between a sparge and full volume mash is very small since the wort is so diluted to begin with.

Good point. The only reason to sparge with BIAB (IMHO of course) is if you can't fit the full mash into the pot.

The difference between no-sparge and an equal runnings volume batch/dunk sparge averages 8.4%, with a range of 6.8% to 9.0% (assuming equal grain absorption/squeezing intensity.) Many brewers may consider this significant. A well squeezed no-sparge can approach, and in some cases exceed, the efficiency of an unsqueezed/poorly drained batch sparge.

For batch (and no) sparge, lauter efficiency depends on grain bill weight to pre-boil volume ratio, grain absorption rate, MLT undrainable volume, and number of sparges. The chart below plots lauter efficiency (mash efficiency = conversion efficiency * lauter efficiency) for no-sparge vs. single equal runnings sparge for various levels of grain absorption, assuming undrainable volume = 0.

BIAB No Sparge vs Sparge big beers ratio.jpg

For the record, I usually do no-sparge. The data is not meant to advocate one method over another, just to present accurate information that people can use in making their own decisions.

I've been suspending my grain bag over the 30 qt brewing bucket with an engine hoist, and sparging by pouring water through the bag. Kind of a pain getting the hoist out and anyway I don't get a good feeling my rinsing method is very efficient.

I saw this gold panner at Home Depot for $10. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Estwing-13-oz-16-in-Black-Plastic-Gold-Pan-BP-16/203075818 Looks like I could drill holes in it and just lift and set the bag on top. Hopefully it wont sag down into the bucket or melt or add plastic taste or... Before I go and invest that kind of money, I wonder if anyone has something like this in use and if it works okay.

Stainless Collander works very nicely for me.

Lautering ~12.6lbs grain bill, No sparge
attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
The one Gavin linked came up as unavailable yesterday. In post #2 I linked to what appears to be the same model from a different seller.

this is perfect. just picked one up for my 15 Gal SS brewtech kettle. the kettle measures in at 15.8 inches and the colander is 16 1/4 according to amazon.

no more getting yelled at for using the wife's nice strainer anymore:mug:

Back