Strain Before bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WortCarboy

Reaction score
Ok, last question before I bottle.

In my carboy I have a couple little pieces floating at the top (Probably the roasted barley or crystal malt). I was thinking of putting a kitchen strainer above my filling pail as I siphon it. The holes are reasonably large so I don't think it'll stop the yeast.

My concern is that the beer will be falling into the pail giving unwanted oxygenation (that a word?).

Your thoughts?

Its going to introduce a lot of oxygen to your beer. To give you an idea, I always drain my wort through a strainer when transfering from the kettle to the carboy. I have never had to add oxygen or even shake my carboy to get the wort aerated. I have always had activity within 3-4hours and always had complete fermentations (knock on wood). So that tells me that straining adds a good deal of oxygen. So to answer your question, no I would not do it. You rack from below it anyway and just leave a little extra in the bottom of the bucket so you wont suck that crap up. Hope this helps goodluck!

I put a hop bag over the end of my auto siphon, using a rubber band to hold in place.

I put a hop bag over the end of my auto siphon, using a rubber band to hold in place.

Same here. I boil the hop bag for five to ten minutes to sanitize it before I'm using it. And soak the rubber band in sanitizer etc.

If you will watch when you siphon, most of the floaties will gravitate to the sides of the carboy and most will stick to the sides. No need to put anything over the end of your siphon unless it makes you feel good

Latest posts

Back