Stout Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toots

Reaction score
Hey I was looking for some help deciding on a yeast for a guinness clone recipe from Bier Muncher. My LHBS does not carry any liquid yeast and has little selection. I am a 5 hour round trip from Toronto where i know I can get it but I am not driving that far. The recipe calls for WLP004 (Irish Ale) yeast. All I have to work with is Safale us-05, Safale us-04, and Nottingham ale yeast. These have worked well for all the other all grain beers I have made but I have been apprehensive to make a stout. Any help would greatly appreciated.

I also do not get much yeast character from Guinness. So 05 should be fine, but as far as I read about it, Nottingham should work as well as both should have the same character. Some even say that Nottingham has the 05 strain as it's "mother" strain.

I also do not get much yeast character from Guinness. So 05 should be fine, but as far as I read about it, Nottingham should work as well as both should have the same character. Some even say that Nottingham has the 05 strain as it's "mother" strain.

I've heard it the other way around. I believe that Nottingham was around well before US-05 ever appeared.

Well thanks guys for the advice. I am torn now on which one to use lol... so I will just have to try the us-05 and nottingham. Good excuse to make more beer! I have a 16 gallon pot on the way so I will be able to do two batches and try both yeasts. (If that is a good idea). At least i know I can do it now using the yeast I have. And the snow outside is gone for now and its supposed to be warm so I am gonna brew this Wednesday!

S04, the blue packet.

I've made some collaborative stouts using it and it is good.

By myself, I make sweet stouts with WYeast London Ale 3. Pretty good.

Latest posts

Back