Stout Wort ESB Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonT

Reaction score
Hello All,
I am a kit brewer and made a mistake last night and need some input. So I had a helper and between the two of us we managed to mess up a Dry Irish Stout Kit from Northern Brewer. My helper, meaning well, fully understanding the importance of sanitization, droped our Wyeast Irish Ale smack pack into to a sink full of starsan. The only problem with that is that the temp of the water was well over 120. When I cut open the pack to pour in the contents I knew we had a problem just from the smell alone. I dumped it in anyway thinking that there might still be some cells that made it. No chance... it didn't kick off. I waited a full 12 hours and nothing at all. I had some ESB yeast from Wyeast in the fridge that I had set aside for next Fri brew night and I added it in the now 12 hour old wort before I left for work this morning. My question is in 3 parts:

1. Will the dead yeast taint the flavor of my beer or simply become food for the new yeast?
2. How will a stout taste with ESB yeast?
3. Should I cut bait and start over?

The kit was simple. 1lb English Roasted Barley mini mash, 6 lbs of Gold Malt Extract 2 oz of cluster hop at the beg of a hour boil. What do you think fellas?

First of all, rest easy. You will have beer.

12 hours is not enough time to tell if the yeast was dead - could have been, but whatever. What's done is done. Let's just assume that one of the two yeasts you put in there will get the job done. Will you be able to tell the difference? Probably not.

Cheers!

Thanks Frazer, another quick question. Can I pour my next batch of Wort directly over the yeast cake and expect it to ferment?

You should always make a starter acouple days befor hand. I know the packs and Vials say its enough yeast but really it isnt at proper pitching rates. Next time make a starter they are pretty easy and you dont need some expensive flask just use a 1 gallon jug. Oh and I think it will be just fine with the ESB yeast. Might even turn out better

Thanks ChaosStout. Can I harvest the yeast from the cake in order to make a starter?

Thanks ChaosStout. Can I harvest the yeast from the cake in order to make a starter?

You should be able to. Ive never done it so I cant speak from experience. Search for it on here im sure a topic on how to do it

Guaran-frikkin-tee you that the original yeast wasn't dead. I sometimes don't see activity when I pitch a big healthy starter 12 hours later. There are so many variables.

Did your smack-pack swell after you smacked it? That should tell you right there if your yeast is still viable or not.
Regards, GF.

yeah bro, I smacked it real good and it swol up real real nice. However my 18 yo threw it in ultra hot water after it was activated. Ive worked with that yeast before and it never smelled like that!

Guaran-frikkin-tee you that the original yeast wasn't dead. I sometimes don't see activity when I pitch a big healthy starter 12 hours later. There are so many variables.

Hey bottle bomber, this raises another question. Will it be a battle of yeasts and one will reign supreme kinda thing or will I have a crazy hybrid yeast?

Back