stout with oak chips soaked in...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sictransit701

Reaction score
I’ve done a whisky barrel stout aged with oak chips soaked in whisky. Has anyone ever tried soaking chips with red wine?

My whisky oak chip method was to boil the oak chips for 5 minutes, add them to a mason jar, top off with whisky, and let it sit in the fridge until brewday. I add them to the primary fermenter, rack wort on top, and pitch yeast. Would this method also work with the wine?

I've used a ruby port. Soaked the chips in port from brewday until the beer was racked to secondary, (a couple/few weeks), then added the chips and port to the beer then.

Don't boil the oak chips to sanitize, that will strip out a lot of the desirable flavors. Bake them instead, then soak them in the wine at room temperature to speed up the infusion/extraction, then add the chips along with some of the wine to your stout.

IMHO, I would do this in secondary so I could leave the beer on the oak for several weeks.

Cool idea, I believe kilowatt brewing down the street from me also does something like this...
And wait for it, they put it on Argon...I guess nitro wasn't cool enough...it was good.

Latest posts

Back