Stout Volcano!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juslod

Reaction score
Well, I brewed my first stout and had my first airlock blow off. It looked healthy and only had a 2" head of foam when I left town, then came back to find a mess! I guess from now on I will be a firm believer in blow-off tubes!

I know the cardinal rule, without pictures these types of threads are useless so here they are. The last picture is of the door that was in the room, all 4 walls and the ceiling are splattered in that pattern. It is going to be brutal to clean up! I guess I learned the hard way...

photo.JPG

photo1.JPG

DSCN5173.JPG

DSCN5175.JPG

I love the pictures, especially the door!

Okay, I have figured out why this happened:
It is sitting next to that box labeled "Lite." Anything next to that type of box will have an allergic reaction.:)

To kill the evil spirit, I would:
- Remove and burn the "Lite" box
- Place (1) Schneider Aventinus next to the fermenting batch
- Drink (1) Schneider Aventinus while cleaning up:)

Then, all will be okay. Unless, SWMBO is around....

+ 1 Schneider Aventinus best beer I ever had I didnt know those flavors existed.

I love the pictures, especially the door!

Okay, I have figured out why this happened:
It is sitting next to that box labeled "Lite." Anything next to that type of box will have an allergic reaction.:)

To kill the evil spirit, I would:
- Remove and burn the "Lite" box
- Place (1) Schneider Aventinus next to the fermenting batch
- Drink (1) Schneider Aventinus while cleaning up:)

Then, all will be okay. Unless, SWMBO is around....

I can happily say that box was picked up from a liquor store just to store bottles in and NOT used for drinking in my house! I can see how the fermenter had an allergic reaction either way, he was probably afraid he may be watered down 10x for a final product.

I have never tried Schneider Aventinus, but I think I will keep an eye out for it :D

I can say my SWMBO would be uber pissed if she came home to that. I'm using a tube on every batch from now on....at least for the first couple days. Thanks!

Yep my plan is to start using a blow off tube, I don't want to be cleaning this crap up any more... When I got home it was dried and it makes it even harder to clean up!

Got anything else fermenting ? I'd shoot for a Black & tan room.:mug:

Hahah I have a pale ale fermenting in there, but it is just about finished unfortunately. The lighter color may have even hidden the dark stout but I can't hope for that any more!

Prop's for the pic's!
And, I have an Aventinus clone recipe for anyone out there that wants it.;)

What a freakin mess, my wife would have killed me. I may use this thread for a "it could have been worse, look at this .." escape route if something similar happens to me.

Back