Stout tasting Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noodle23

Reaction score
So i did a stout tasting this evening. 4 stouts: Lagunitas Cappuccino, Bear Republic Black Stout, Dempsey's Ugly Dog Stout, and Napa Smith Stout. All in all very interesting but two of the four had an awful banana taste to it. Since im doing this before my first stout i wondering how to avoid this terrible taste. Any thoughts? Possibly "wet Hops"? Bad Fermentation? Thanks Guys :mug:

Seems like a fermentation issue to me. Pitch the right amount of healthy yeast and aerate the wort appropriately and you should be good. That is assuming you choose a yeast strain that doesn't regularly throw banana flavors off.

noodle23 said:
I think im going to use 1056.

Then if everything is healthy, you really shouldn't have a problem with banana flavors, or any fruity esters at all. Good luck!

You really shouldn't be drinking too much in front of a scout until they are at least at the bear cub level, past that game on.

Back