Stout - issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgrier

Reaction score
Hellllllooooo from Austin Texas.

I went down to Austin Homebrew Supply and got a dry stout mini-mash.
Here are my notes for tonight.

Anyway. I had a hard time getting my wort to boil on the burner that I use.
I thought... it was cooler tonight than I have ever brewed before and this recipe has more sugars or whatever than I have ever had before... either way.. I could not get above 211-212. It sat there for like 45min thinking that it would boil any moment.
Then I took it in the house and boiled it for another 45-50 min. and chilled it and did my usual thing.

My reading came out to 1.048 and It was supposed to come out to 1.053.
Should I be worried or is there anything I can do?

I am sure I will drink the beer no matter what anyway...

Thanks for you insight.
T
Texas
Drinking my Pale Ale tonight...Good Stuff. .. Cheers :fro:

Thanks for the reply.
I am reading that thread now.

I did take the reading after adding the wort to the primary and then adding water to top it to 5gals.
T

A very typical new brewer problem is not mixing the wort with the top off water very well. This will cause your reading to be off depending on where in the carboy the sample came from as the heavier wort will sink to the bottom.

I always aerate BEFORE taking my hydrometer sample. This has given me much better readings.

What exactly were you using to boil your wort? It sounded like you were outside so I have to assume that you were using some kind of propane burner.

I use a Bayou Classic that I picked up at Home Depot for $45 and it was the entire fryer kit and I have never had any problems bringing my wort to a rolling boing boil even in the cold New England winter.

If your having a hard time boiling spend the few bucks and get a good burner. IMHO

Sounds like it wasn't mixed well when you took your reading. You should be OK.

Latest posts

Back