Stout flocculation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwabdu

Reaction score
I brewed a chocolate stout (OG: 1.066, yeast: WLP001) about 10 days ago and at this point aerobic fermentation has passed and most of the yeast has gone to the bottom but there is still some floating on the top and it hasn't changed for days. it seems like there if a lot of "surface tension" on the top keeping it from sinking. anything i should do? or should i just try to avoid it if it doesn't sink by bottling time?

I brewed a chocolate stout (OG: 1.066, yeast: WLP001) about 10 days ago and at this point aerobic fermentation has passed and most of the yeast has gone to the bottom but there is still some floating on the top and it hasn't changed for days. it seems like there if a lot of "surface tension" on the top keeping it from sinking. anything i should do? or should i just try to avoid it if it doesn't sink by bottling time?

Don't worry about it. No need to avoid what is floating on top when racking to your bottling bucket, just try not to suck up too much of the trub on the bottom come bottling day.

Latest posts

Back