Stout FG not that low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSrugis

Reaction score
I just moved my java stout from primary to my carboy after 1.5 weeks and my FG seems to be a little high. The problem is the recipe I have doesn't say what it should be. My OG was 1.068 and my FG is 1.024 when moving to my secondary. Here is the recipe...

.5 lb Flaked Barley
1 lb Briess Roasted
.5lb Briess 40L Crystal
7 lbs Muntons Light DME
10oz french roast coffee last 10mins of boil
1 oz Centennial Pellet Hops
1 Nottingham Dry Ale Yeast

Does my FG sound good? Do I need to pitch another packet of yeast in? This is my 5th brew or so and never had a FG this high so would like to know what to do. Remember, I already moved it to my carboy too. Thanks.

Dave

Did you make a starter? With dry yeast, it should be a must to make starters. Also, since this is an extract beer, you can't always expect full attenuation. Did you check your gravity a couple days in a row? If so, then I'd say it's probably done. Adding more yeast will probably only get you a few more points if any.

Did you make a starter? With dry yeast, it should be a must to make starters. Also, since this is an extract beer, you can't always expect full attenuation. Did you check your gravity a couple days in a row? If so, then I'd say it's probably done. Adding more yeast will probably only get you a few more points if any.

Starters are for Liquid yeast. Dry Yeast does not need a starter, and might actually be worse for it. You simply rehydrate dry yeast by boiling a cup or so of water, cool to temp on packet, pitch into water, let sit, and stir after 15min. Do this about 30min prior to pitching into fermenter.

I'm not sure as far as the OP goes. I have a similar issue, although it's all grain. Did you check the gravity for multiple days to see if fermentation was complete, that the gravity stayed the same over 3 days? It's possible it wasn't finished. I just put some yeast nutrient in mine to hopefully get the yeast going again, but this is after 4 weeks in primary.

No starter but I followed the directions on the yeast. Can I add the nutrient to the carboy? What should I expect it to drop to? The air lock on the carboy is back up so there is still a little action taking place. Maybe it will drop to below a 1.020 still.

Dave

Nottingham has been the lowest finisher I have worked with. I've Windsor twice this year and it has gotten stuck both times. The first time I waited two weeks and then fermentation resumed when I rolled my carboy a little. The second time I pitched a new yeast and fermentation resumed.I'm surprised to see Nottingham not finishing well, but with extract you can't be sure how fermentable your sugars will be. Also, 1.5 weeks just isn't quite long enough, especially in your situation. Next let it sit 3-4 weeks and don't transfer to secondary. Do you really need your stout to clear more? I use Irish moss and three week primary and my beers come out crystal clear.

Starters are for Liquid yeast. Dry Yeast does not need a starter, and might actually be worse for it. You simply rehydrate dry yeast by boiling a cup or so of water, cool to temp on packet, pitch into water, let sit, and stir after 15min. Do this about 30min prior to pitching into fermenter.

So, can you tell I've never used dry yeast? I always assumed the reason people used liquid yeast a lot was because wyeast comes with almost a built in starter. I still make starters with it, but if I forget, I'm usually not worried.

Well, I guess I learn something new everyday.

Munton's has a reputation for not fermenting out all that well, plus you have a fair amount of non-fermentables from the dark grains. Getting dry stouts is a bit of a challenge when you use extract. I'd rouse the yeast and give it another week.

Also, you might have addeds some unfermentable sugars in there. I know my recent chocolate/java stout finished at around 1.022 and it was fantastic, great head retention, and a chewy thick mouth feel. A great after dinner beer!

Latest posts

Back