stout fermentation issue..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtakacs

Reaction score
brewed a stout (AG) and was reheating my mash and the temperature spiked 30 minutes in when i got distracted (doh!). the problem; 1.057 OG, 1.024 FG. under 60% attenuation.

i know for a fact i have a high level of unfermentables in the brew because of the temperature spike (180) - the beer tastes fine, in fact, it tastes dry which is odd. this will be going in a barrel after primary to age for a bit so i'll get some sort of astringency out of it which will help on the perception of high residual sugars..

thoughts on adding amylase or just go ahead and bottle and suck it up? read a little bit on amylase and i think it would help in this case - and yes, i've already done the million little things to assist. i'm pretty sure this isn't stuck and that its done.

thoughts?

I think you are right, the high temp in the mash messed it up. I would just call it a mistake and cut my losses. Bottle that brew and use your barrel for something you know is right.

Its a light oatmeal stout w a little chocolate malt. I wanted it dry but given it tastes fine I think ill just bottle it... still gonna put it in the barrel tho.. I actually think it'll help.

from memory;

2-row; 79%
flaked oatmeal; 7%
victory; 7%
chocolate; 7%

its a little high on victory but i wanted the malty/bready taste/aroma. came out rather light but still in style... had bad efficiency (from the spike in temps) as well, but still in style.

Did you make a note of the temp of your wort when you measured your OG?

What was your expected FG before you got your lower than expected eff?

I'm guessing by dry it out you mean up the abv. You did say it tasted fine not sweet. I would leave it as is.

i'm pretty OCD about checking gravity - everything gets done between 66 and 70 F... i expected about 1.016.

guess i just need to say "i effed my beer up" out loud... lol... thanks guys. not worried about the sweetness and 4.5% is enough abv for me... a session stout i guess.

Latest posts

Back