Stout drying out mouth.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zach1288

Reaction score
Has anyone had experience with a stout drying their mouth out? It's not a dry stout. It finished at 1.022 but leaves you with cottonmouth in the aftertaste?

How much black malt did you use? While roast barley can leave some roasty flavors, they are not too ashy or dry, typically. Adding too much black malt (black patent) can produce too much of that drying sensation.

That's pretty hot for a sparge. What was the ph? If the PH was way high along with sparging at over 170F, you can get that astringency.

Did you fly sparge? You can also get it from over-sparging (presumably because it throws off your ph?)

I've never had this actually happen to me, so not speaking from personal experience as much as what I've learned through reading.

That's pretty hot for a sparge. What was the ph? If the PH was way high along with sparging at over 170F, you can get that astringency.

Did you fly sparge? You can also get it from over-sparging (presumably because it throws off your ph?)

I've never had this actually happen to me, so not speaking from personal experience as much as what I've learned through reading.

I'm sorry I meant I added 173F to the mash, it would have been around 168F in the actually mash tun.

I batch sparged and the PH was 5.5

Latest posts

Back