Stout dilemma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyp063

Reaction score
I've done quite a bit of RDWHAHB before I ask this, but I'm a tad concerned & would like advice from wiser/more experienced heads here.

I've got a milk stout that doesn't want to behave. I'll put the recipe at the end, but, in short, the FG isn't coming down anywhere *near* what I expect.

5.25 gallons into primary at 1.060 (corrected). 68 degrees
sa-04 rehydrated at 85 degrees & pitched. Fermenting in the basement & the fermometor said 64 degrees. Got a good ferment & solid krausen within a day

I started checking FG after 3 weeks & it was at 1.030. It's still at 1.030 after an additional 1-1/2 weeks.
According to everything I've read & all the calculations it should be down below 1.020 at the very least. Insert noob concerns about bottle bombs, did I screw up my beer, yada yada yada

So I'm open to suggestions.

Recipe:

1 lb Black (Patent)
12.0 oz Crystal Malt - 80L
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt
Steeped at 156 for 30 minutes in 2 gallons
rinsed with 1 gallon of 170 degree water

to boil

1.50 oz EKGoldings at 60
1 lb Lactose at 15
7.5 lbs Amber LME at 10
0.50 oz EK Goldings at 5
S-04 at 68 degrees

Hmm, maybe your yeast needs to warm up a little? What type of yeast did you use?

S-04 normally chews through just about everything. Assuming you were at 68 degrees for the duration and gravity has not changed between week 3 and week 4.5, I'd say it's done. It am not an experienced extract brewer but I have seen many posts here stating that it's not unheard of for extract to not go too far below 1.020. Add in 1# of lactose and I'm thinking that it's probably as low as it's gonna go. Anyone want to correct me on this?

What are you expecting you FG to be?

Are you calibrating your hydrometer to the temperature?

I was expecting it to be 1.020 -1.017ish
Yes. I corrected for temperature. Checked it wit 2 different hydrometers, just to be sure

Assuming you were at 68 degrees for the duration

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I pitched into 68 degree wort, but the fermometer read 64 for all the time it's been in the basement.

This is my first use of S-04, but from what I've read I agree. It's supposed to work through nicely.
And yes, I know the lactose can affect things.

I'm bloody tempted to bottle & carb on the low side & say the heck with it.
After all, I made beer.
But part of my brain says that I missed something.

I just did an oatmeal milk stout that I bottled around a week ago (i think). It finished at 1.027, recipe said it would be 1.024. was a touch high but I bottled away and so far no explosions.

Latest posts

Back