Storing yeast starter question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blkandrust

Reaction score
Something came up today and i am not going to be able to brew.I have had 1000ml of wlp002 on a stir plate for two days. Should I just cover the E flask and put in fridge?It will be 2 weeks before I can brew with it.

Same thing happened to me a couple of brews ago. Was in the fridge for a whole month. Pulled it out the night before, poured out the very clear liquid on top and let it get to room temp over night. After brewing, just swirled and added. I figure it is the same as getting a yeast pack/vial that is a little bit older. You have to figure you are losing some of the yeast to age but a couple of weeks shouldn't hurt.
That batch is still carbing in the bottles so I can't say 100% but samples tasted good and fermentation was as per usual.

Usually in this case I'll store the starter in the fridge, and decant the extra liquid the day before brew-day. After decanting, I'll leave the starter out in room temp and give the yeast the occasional swirl to help wake it back up

Thanks for the replies. I will be brewing tomorrow so I put the starter back on the stir plate yesterday in order to wake up the yeasties.

Back