Storing yeast cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TechMiller

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked, my search didn't seem to find it.

I am thinking about saving my yeast cake from the primary fermenter.

I only have a small space to secondary ferment. I can't start another batch until my bottles are conditioned.

I have a few questions!

1. How long can this be stored?
2. How is the best to store?
3. Would I then need to make another starter from the cake?

Thanks!

What I do is bottle it in a few beer bottles. I have used some that were 3 months old and I always make a starter. I've always had good results especially when a starter is involved

you need to search "washing yeast" . that will get you all the answers and instuctions on how to save a yeast cake for future use. I dont understand what the bottle conitioning has to do with starting another batch? If I can use the same yeast for my next batch I will plan a brew day and transfer the beer to my bottling bucket from the fermenting bucket and pour the new batch on the yeast cake, sanitize the lid and button it up for the next 3-4 weeks. now I have to bottle or keg onther bucket of beer :mug: Have fun brewing, and learning.

I boil and cool a gallon of water and add it to my cake to get it more liquified. I fill a sanitized gallon pitcher with the slurry and stick in the fridge. Then I boil another gallon, cool it, pour it in a gallon jug and put that in the fridge.

In 2 days I have 3 layers in my pitcher: Liquid, a lighter creamy layer and a darker layer. I pour the liquid down the drain and pour the lighter creamy layer into another pitcher. The dark layer goes down the drain.

I add some weather from the jug and swirl it to re-liquefy. I pour that liquid into some Ball canning jars and put back in the fridge. If I use one within 3 months, I don't make a starter.

I really like the sound of using beer bottle as posted above though. Never heard of that....

Back