storing milled grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

businesstime

Reaction score
I recently bought a 55 lb of 2-row pale. I had them mill it, because, well I don't have an expensive miller at home. But, I'm concerned I won't be able to use it all up in time before it goes stale. It's stored in an air-tight pet food container. I think it's going to take me about 3-4 months to use all of it.

How long do you store milled grain (if you do at all)?

It doesn't last too long once it's milled. If you can store it in a cool dry place in an airtight container, that will help. I think someone around here told me that a freezer, in a tightly closed plastic bag, helped preserve their milled grains but I don't remember who that was.

I bought three kits in November and got to one but life got in the way and I didn't get to the other two until March 20th. They both smelled and tasted fine so I used them. They taste fantastic right now.

I've put a lot into tupperware containers and into my freezer. I guess I'll use those last and try to use what's in my bag over the next 2 weekends.

I use a foodsaver and make up my bags to the length needed to store my grain. I then freeze the milled grain. Works out great for longer term storage. Haven't allowed the grain to sit for more than 6 months though, so I can't comment on longer term storage. I would think large lastic bags (zip lock) and a plastic container would give some decent storage capability.

Salute! :mug:

I am drinking a batch that used 2-row that was milled & stored for 3 months in air tight container on my basement floor. The beer tastes great. I read someplace that a rep from Briess said that if it is stored air tight & cool(??); milled grains will last a long(??) time.

I vaccum sealed some and kept it a couple of months. it was fine. I was however told to NOT freeze it due to moisture....don't know if tht is true or not.

I just bought some milled grain and I'm not going to use it for a few weeks so I stuck it in the freezer. I assumed freezing it would preserve it because it preserves everything else. We'll see.

I just bought some milled grain and I'm not going to use it for a few weeks so I stuck it in the freezer. I assumed freezing it would preserve it because it preserves everything else. We'll see.

I removed mine from the freezer after some more reading. Moisture is the real problem and freezing it doesn't really do anything. Moreover, freezers tend to make foods taste/smell like it's been in a freezer.

I've sealed all my milled grain into air-tight containers and bags, so they're pre-measured. Then, I am storing them inside a dark, air-tight larger container. I also have some leftover moisture-barrier plastic from when I did my flooring downstairs. Think it would be paranoid overkill to inner-line the big container with it, lol?

Latest posts

Back