Storing leaf hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HSM

Reaction score
I cut a pound bag into 1oz bags today, just using some custom sized "zip locks" and a straw to create the "vacuum seal". It's tedious work to be sure but went by quick. My basement office still smells great of hops aroma!

I have another pound of Centennial that I'm going to cut into oz's tomorrow, and as fortune would have it I went to the store and found 3 ziplock quart bags and a pump... 2 fer a buck! (Yes, for $1 you get 6 quart sized bags and 2 pumps.)

Here's where it goes south... Instead of spending 3 bucks and getting 18 bags and 6 pumps (what would I do with those)... I bought on @ $.50 and 2 boxes of refills at 3.48 a pop. My Grand total= 7.46 + tax.

Who's the next contestant on the price is right?

In the freezer, individual bags in a larger bag and then bagged again. I've kept LHBS foil vacuum sealed bags in the freezer for months with no problems. I doubt that my zip lock sealer will do as well, but I'll try to use them fast!

As long as you are limiting the oxygen by placing it in a bag, and eliminating light and temp, by placing it in the freezer the hops will hold up for quite a while.

Ed

Back