Storing kegs with Star San?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope. Shouldn't cause corrosion if mixed at the correct ratio. I believe a lot of people do this including myself.
Wash them well with PBW or some other cleaner, then sanitize by shaking with starsan and leave the starsan in them. I don't feel it up with Starsan.
When you're ready to fill, shake it around a bit, dump out the starsan and rack beer. That's my current process at least.

As do I. Also, after adding the Starsan, I give the keg a good shake, fill with CO2, then run some out thru the liquid side so the liquid dip tube gets the complete Starsan treatment.

Any downside to storing cornelius kegs with a little pressurized star-san in them? It won't cause any corrosion over a few months, will it?

When I clean my kegs the last step
Is a rinse w/ StarSan followed by a yah through the hid line. I then empty & & clear the fluid line by pressing on the poppit.
Lastly, I use they'd and apply light amount of CO2 to seal.
Most of my kegs sit a mac of 2-3 weeks before being filled but I've had not issues.

This is what I do when my kegs aren't in use. Clean them up then fill about halfway with star san solution. Shake and roll around for a few to get everything sanitized, and run through any lines/taps that aren't in use. Then when I need a keg, I can dump and fill with ease

I have one keg that is filled with star san. Once i get a keg emptied, cleaned, and dried, i will transfer the star san to the clean keg. I use a short hose with 2 out connections and transfer under co2 pressure move the star san, and fill the keg with CO2 ready to fill with the next batch of beer.
It uses a bit more CO2, but reduces the opportunity for oxygenation during transfer from the fermentor.

I remember being told at one point that due to the fact that it is an acid based sanitizer, it is ill advised to leave it in a stainless keg for long term storage. I can't remember all of the sciency words that were used, but long story short was that it was bad for the metal.

I keep my star san in a bucket fermenter for storage.

Back