Storing Kegerator Outside - Advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexdagrate

Reaction score
I just picked up a Kenmore kegerator on craigslist. It fits a half-barrell keg, but I'd like to convert it to a two or three tap with ball lock kegs inside.

I live in a very small house (less than 1000 sq ft) and there's no room for such a large piece of equipment.

I do have a back deck, but SWMBO is worried about a couple of things:

1) Sanitation: Will the taps stay clean if the kegerator is outside? It currently has one tower and I plan on upgrading it to a two or three tap SS tower from kegconnection. Should I consider putting some kind of cover over the tower? Do the Perlick 525PC's I'm considering come with tap covers to keep them clean? (I know they're forward-sealing, but I'm still curious if tap-covers are a good idea).

2) Temperature: I live in Western Washington State, so we have a fairly temperate climate. It almost never dips below 20F and very rarely gets above 85F in the summer. The mean low temp gets down to 31.6F in January and the mean high temp gets to 77F in August. Is this bad boy going to use a lot of juice in the summer to keep cool or end up freezing in the winter?

3) Electricity: My deck is covered, but is not especially waterproof. And it rains here, a LOT. Olympia is actually the rainiest city in the lower 48 when you count "rainy days" rather than rainfall in inches. So SWMBO is worried this thing could get super wet and short out on us, or build up lots of moisture and conk out.

Basically, I'm worried that I won't be able to get this thing up and running until I can afford a bigger house, and that's not likely to happen any time soon.

Any advice or insight appreciated, thanks.

Do these "Tap Soothers" fit on Perlicks?

31mO15GaCaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back